Chapter Nine: A Fine Day Indeed •EDITED•

"At least it's a fine day for killing," Philip's barely carried through the fog but it was choked with unrestrained excitement.

He stared almost hungrily at the incoming wave of red dots that rushed his way, using the butt of his rifle to slam into the skull of the wolfish beast that had foolishly decided to leap at him.

As he expertly took control of his horse's reins with his other hand, the queasiness he had once felt slowly vaporized. Each blow he sent into the trembling animal calmed his gut and nerves.

The strange wolf fell away, getting trampled by the other animals that rushed towards he and Theodore.

As he stared at the oncoming wave, a shuddering breath left him as what was once adrenaline turned into an intense bloodlust that pounded against the walls of his arteries, flooded his veins and teased his unsteady heart with a painful desire for spilled crimson.

"It has been so long. . ." He lost himself in the feeling as he held tightly onto his rifle, his mind filled with the savagery of death and killing. "So long since I've felt this good."

Despite his finger fixing itself against the trigger, Philip's intuition told him not to fire any laser beams from his gun as he faced off against the horde of cranky, somewhat bloodthirsty animals. And he was quite fine with it, finding the feeling of smashing into bone and flesh to be very satisfying. Moreover, to him a gut feeling was more trustworthy than any radar a human could invent.

With his mind made up, he decisively meleed all the creatures that were on his path with his Sol 59, a lax yet cruel smile on his lips as he quickly beat down the feral four-limbed invaders that came at him.

As expected, his intuition was proven right when his comrades shot blindly into the fog as a counterattack, only for the red and blue laser lights to be eaten up by the air, their effects completely nullified by the fog.

As the supposed lowest ranked among them, he could only sigh at their stupidity. Even as a messenger he knew that long ranged attacks were made ineffective by the strange fog. He really couldn't understand their reasoning.

Why waste ammunition like that when there was only a limited amount of sun available?

As part of the rearguard, Philip had only two other soldiers riding with him, the seven others were far ahead, safe from the sudden attack at the back, hopefully.

They were supposed to finish up the battle here and join up to protect the others. After all it was their job to guard the back of the force. But seeing that their shots had failed, the two soldiers fell into panic. Shooting wildly as they were repeatedly attacked by the claws and teeth of the rampaging animals.

Their horses jerked in fear, going out of control as the creatures in the horde scrambled to pull the soldiers down from their mounts.

Once again the fog was lit up with blue and red hues but the lasers did nothing to slow down the animals. In fact, they only seemed to aggravate the beasts and provoke more vicious attacks.

Looking around, terrified, the two men with Philip searched for the rest of the group but all they saw were the numerous pairs of unblinking golden eyes that peered at them through the dense white fog like hunters stalking prey.

Naturally, at the sight of this they were scared lawless. Both were relatively new soldiers so why wouldn't they be? And to top it off, they were of the noble class.