Chapter Forty Nine: Wind Haul.

Corey let himself be dragged out of his machine by the strong pull that washed over him, knowing that he didn't have the strength to move on his own, let alone resist.

Dawn. Where in the Code are you?

While his eyes raced across the battlefield he had created in search of the unseen enemy, he waited patiently for Rhea Lee to levitate him to the ground, her powers deactivating only when he reached the soft earth she stood on.

Since they had made themselves known to the enemy no attacks had come Corey's way. As suspicious as it was, he still used this time to gather his powers back into their rightful place, under his control where they belonged. It took a breath of effort to get the tingling numbness off his fingers.

Thanks Dad, he thought bitterly, the invasion of my mind was just what I needed.

"Rhea Lee," he shouted once his feet had touched the ground, "can you sense them?"

A shake of her head told him no and before she could open her mouth to say more, the winds suddenly picked up, throwing shrapnel and broken glass every which way. Corey was quick to take cover before what remained of the FCM, a dense pain in his heart as he took in it's destroyed state.

Millions of credits, down the drain. . . just like that. He did not look forward to the discussion he was going to have with the other nobles, if he managed to survive this, of course. A part of him was curious though, eager to find out more about these people his father had aligned himself with. Corey knew that his father was aware that the only reason he still adhered to the wishes of the Order was because his father had the ability to prevent the invasion of earth by outside forces-if there were any.

"Braek," Richard suddenly cursed as he raised his hands to shield his face, he had been so silent that Corey had forgotten he was here. The lord said nothing more as he dusted off his shirt, his eyes narrowed at the clouds of rising earth that blocked his vision. He kept his fingers poised in the air, ready to activate his telekinesis the moment he noticed movement.

Now that much of the Corey's hastily constructed plan was in shambles, the minister found himself with nothing better to do than duck for cover. Being taken prisoner was no longer an option since Rhea Lee was here-she wouldn't let him. And her presence either meant that Dawn was close by or worse. . . that she was pissed with him.

Cold sweat slid down his arms at the thought of the professor's rage and disappointment. A plan like this-the one he had created out of desperation-was the last thing that came to his mind now.

"Come on!" he gritted his teeth and waited. Waited for anything. A sign, a voice, anything he could react to. Something he could throw lightning at.

The dust settled and silence followed.

Corey's wish was answered as countless blades of wind sprung into existence, whistling through the air as they flew towards their targets-Richard and Dawn. Both raised their hands against the onslaught, telekinetic abilities already charged and ready. Despite Corey's assumptions and the set rules of battle, the wind didn't stop. Instead it grew stronger, slicing through the aura that surrounded the pair and cutting into them. Rhea Lee was nimble enough to dodge most of them while Richard was slammed away by the raging tempest.

The doctor hurriedly diverted her attention to save him, pooling all her power beneath him to break his fall. This caused her to be flung away as well.

Corey winced but was relieved. Better her than him, he thought, releasing a breath he didn't know he was holding while berating himself for being too weak to join the fight.

"Let us pool our powers together." Rhea Lee screamed down to Richard, suspending herself in the air.

The noble nodded and brushed off his pain, pointing both his hands in the direction she had chosen.

Immediately, the wind stilled, fighting against the combined strength of Rhea Lee and Richard. It was the strain that appeared on both their faces that hinted to Corey that this wind was not natural. It wasn't just superb control of the element that made it so fearsome, he was sure.

His doubts were confirmed as the air around the three of them began to thicken, suffocating them even though they all had the ability to move about unhindered in the fog.

"Corey!" Rhea Lee shouted. "Get out of here."

The minister instinctively turned on his heels, almost not processing that he would be abandoning the people that trusted in him. A light force pushed him back to the center of the battlefield and he came back to his senses.

"Not so fast, highness." The air around him vibrated then started to conceal. "You aren't going anywhere."

The wind had suddenly stopped being dangerous, swirling together and taking the form of a man. "If you wish to save the capital then I suggest you halt your position." he said. "Your golden city has already fallen."

"That isn't possible." Corey replied, stealthily gathering power into his right hand. "And even if it was, then there would be no reason to save it."

"So you will abandon the people, your subjects?" the wind hissed. "What sort of king are you?"

At his words, the minister scoffed. "I am no king, and I find it hard to believe those people would still be alive, after all, you lot are barbarians."

Now Rhea Lee and Lord Maudlin were nowhere to be seen, lost in the whirlwind that trapped Corey alone with the strange man.

"We are not barbarians!" The space around the wind manifestation vibrated. "All who surrendered were taken as prisoners."

"And those who did not?" Lightning crackled around Corey in an attempt to shield his body from the pressure that came from the man speaking. When the wind dulled, the man refusing to answer, Corey spoke again. "Without consideration for the innocent, your kind slaughtered millions of humans in the space of a day. If that isn't barbaric by your standard then-"

"Shut up!" The wind undulated, conducting the fury of the man who wore it as a cloak. The brute force of the emotion slammed into Corey without mercy.

The minister managed to stay standing, but at a cost. His vision swam as a thick, warm liquid rose up his throat. Corey winced as the smell and taste of iron assaulted his senses. He coughed out a mouthful of blood then sank to his knees.

The lightning shielding him vanished. And now, all that remained of his power was in his right hand.

"That was not our kin. We would never-"

"Put a sock in it." Corey didn't let the man finish his sentence, condensing the buildup of energy in his hand until it was small enough to be shot out his index finger.

The moment the ball of blue light left him, rocketing towards the man-shaped wind like a laser beam, Corey collapsed. He had never felt so empty before.

As darkness encroached on the edges of his vision, Corey thought he could hear someone shouting his name. He only hoped they would get to him before he passed out, because this time he wasn't sure he was going to make it.

Corey managed to raise his head just in time to see his attack hit the wind man. He should have felt relieved, but the only thing Corey could think of as he lost consciousness was whether Dawn was watching and if she could ever forgive him for being so foolish.