Chapter Thirty Nine: The Order. •EDITED•

October, Year 483
Headquarters Of The Order
North

Ten. Dawn finally managed to count the full number of minutes she was in pain.

It took a while.

The numbness pulled her under while the spasms in her aching muscles brought her back, gasping for breath and trying not to bite off her tongue. Not that Damien would care of course, he still had that permanent smirk on his face.

Dawn couldn't blame him. It was her choice not to obey the urge that coursed through her veins. She cursed that damned truth serum each time it compelled her not to lie. And each time she didn't tell the truth, she was punished with volts of electricity that bubbled from deep within her gut.

It was unimaginable pain, it was torture. But she was used to that. If Damien thought that a couple of shocks would get her to betray Corey, then he was dreaming.

The pain was nostalgic. It reminded Dawn of a time when she was younger; the days when Corey was part of her family, living under their roof as her father's adopted son—his only son and heir.

He used to hate thunderstorms but that hate seemed to stem from fear. He always lost control of his powers when lightning came crashing from the sky and usually it resulted in the closest person to him getting a good, painful dose of current through their core.

The closest person to Corey at any given time was usually Dawn.

"Draekon," she looked up slowly and glared at Damien as he walked into the room. His pleasure was evident. "Your father wants to see you."

Dawn stared at him, her eyes widening as she let the information sink in.

"W-why?" she blurted even as he started undoing the ropes that tied her to the chair.

"How am I supposed to know?" He took a step back and raised an eyebrow. "You're free."

The professor was shocked to see no trace of anger in his eyes. Instead of taking her to her father, he was letting her go?

"What did you do?" she asked and rubbed her wrists.

"Nothing." His lips turned at the corners to reveal a gorgeous smile. "I was supposed to kill you. . . In the end, let's just say you owe me one."

Dawn still couldn't imagine why a person who hated her so much would do anything to help her.

"I could have escaped," she retorted.

"Yes, you could have," he agreed. "But would it be before or after your boyfriend resigned from the post of Minister?"

"Corey?" Dawn jumped away from her chair and was about to rush at Damien when a jolt of pain it her. She went spiralling to the floor.

Damien caught her with one hand and pulled her up. "Not so fast, girl. I don't need you dying on me."

The words shocked Dawn. They were nothing Damien would ever say.

She looked at him carefully and this time she didn't miss the hint of green that danced behind his dark irises. She swallowed and pulled away from him. Immediately knowing that Dmien was gone, if he had actually been there all along. Whoever this was, it wasn't him.

The moment he let me go was the moment he ceased to exist.

"Take me to my father." she told the shell of a man in front of her, still finding it hard to believe that the boy she grew up with was dead just like that.