Chapter Forty Two: Closed Doors.

October, Year 483
Headquarters Of The Order
North

Before the worship of Code there was reverence for the Maeg and their wwr, and before their reign the praise for the major religions of old was still dominant.

Dawn had long acknowledged that, despite having a deep rooted belief that the Code was forever. But that belief had stemmed from her father's will and she knew that the North throbbed solely to the beat of his presence.

With a quiet sigh she picked up the scalpel that laid discarded by her feet, her thoughts dancing round the edges of what was considered treason.

The Code had been nothing but an abject religion when it started, cast aside by the people as utter bullshit until Maeg did the unthinkable and took away the blessings they had given mankind. They left their worshipers powerless and no amount of faith in the being could change that.

Dawn still believed in the Maeg because she wasn't normal, she had never been. The Code didn't grant abilities that neared superhuman, that was why the Enhanced, Nobil and Cybernets existed, to be make people more than they were.

Only Maeg could turn the wisps of a soul to eternal fire.

Too many people had dashed away their humanity to undergo the operation that would bring them one step closer to the realm of god. But Dawn was not one of them.

In her opinion, there was not much difference between a person that tweaked their genes to get powers and a man who decided to turn himself into a machine.

"Halt where you stand."

Stifling a curse, Dawn raised her gaze from the carpeted floor. She had been under the impression that since her father hadn't killed her yet, she was free to go.

Apparently, she had thought wrong.

Dawn glared at the men in front of her, the barrels of their guns aimed low at her chest and their fingers twitching around the trigger.

The professor was glad that there were only ten of them. She drew her thumb gently along the pointed edge of the scalpel, thankful for the biting pain that had spread through her hand and the trickle of red that followed it.

It was sharp enough, fortunately, for what she was about to do.

Dawn took in a deep breath and put one foot forward.

"Miss, this is your last warning."

Her fingers tingled in anticipation of the fight to come, her suppressed hunger for violence turned ravenous. . . and then she saw it.

The men fell swiftly, pools of blood spilling out of their uniformed skins were the scalpel had poked through with the mercy of a stitching needle.

The pristine carpet had turned into a hallway of bleeding blood, a blooming rose with Dawn in it's center.

Dawn flinched and slowly raised her hands above her head, her thirst suddenly quenched. That wasn't what she wanted, not anymore.

The thought of the oath that bound her to a life of purity pulled her back to reality. There was only one person she would ever kill for and he didn't need these men dead.

The scalpel dropped out of her hand and with a paused breath she watched the mens' gaze follow it to the floor.

Taking a step forward, the professor bit her inner cheek and slammed her fisted knuckle into the throat of the man closest to her. Turning on her heel to send a kick against the temple of the man that had tried to circle behind her, Dawn pulled at the stumbling man in front of her and used him as a shield.