Chapter Seven

Tam was barely conscious of Jennet hovering behind his chair. Please, don’t let his system cut out now. Jennet had set him a drastic challenge. But he would win it, impossible odds or no.

He took a deep breath and focused.

There was only the faint hiss of the wind in the plains grasses, the hollow footfalls of his Sorcerer as he approached the cave to confront Saberclaw. Tam made a quick check of his inventory, making sure his oh-crap items were in place - the things he’d need to win this. Extra health potion, blinding dust, one-use spectral shield. A cloth-wearer had to have tricks like this up his sleeve to survive most scrapes. Though a solo encounter with a Guardian-class beast hardly qualified as a scrape. More like a severe mutilation.

For a second the graphics wavered, rippling like a heat wave. Tam froze, waiting. Come on, system - hold together. It felt like his heart stopped too, until the image stabilized again. Just in time.

In the darkness of the cave, something growled. A red flash of light showed that Saberclaw had sensed a trespasser in his lair. The attack came without warning as the enormous cat rushed forward, a mass of striped and angry death. His growl turned into a roar as the beast lunged, sharp claws extended to rake the Sorcerer’s chest.

Adrenaline pumping through him, Tam waited until the last possible instant, then popped his shield. He cast an instant spell that slowed the cat a precious few milliseconds - enough time to lob a flaming ball of magefire into the cat’s face. Saberclaw yowled in fury, his long teeth shining and deadly.

Tam leapt to the side, but didn’t quite avoid a furious bite from those teeth. His life energy dipped and his character slowed down. Dimly, in the other world, he heard Jennet gasp. One trick gone. But he and the cat were even.

Using his mage abilities, he tried to keep his distance while still sending spells at his opponent. Not always successfully - the big cat got a few painful bites and swipes in on his character in return.

They were both around half health when Saberclaw’s eyes lit with an uncanny green glow. It was the sign he was about to use his special ability - an unavoidable stun that froze his victim in place. As soon as the stun wore off, the cat would pounce and shred his enemy to bits. Tam’s heart raced as his fingers gestured the next combo of moves. This had better work. It was the only thing he could think of.

He tossed the blinding powder, the bright flash distracting Saberclaw for an instant. Then… there was no avoiding this next part, no matter how much it hurt. With a pang, he summoned his favorite pet - the battle-hawk companion he’d won in a ferocious duel two years ago. The two of them had shared more adventures than he could count. But he’d have to sacrifice the hawk in order to win this fight.

“Goodbye, Bright,” he murmured as he sent his pet forward to certain death.

He yanked Lorne behind one of the jagged rocks at the entrance, getting out of line-of-sight as his golden companion winged straight for Saberclaw. The hawk let out a high, pained cry as the big cat’s eyes flared. Saberclaw’s evil green gaze pinned Bright to the cave floor.

Tam couldn’t just keep Lorne standing there - he had to make Bright’s death count. He stepped back into the cave and began his longest incantation. It was his most powerful spell, a fire-lance that would blast a serious hole in his opponent.

The cat ignored Tam and leapt on Bright, yowling with joy as he began to rip the bird to pieces. The hawk let out high, piteous cries as bits of golden feathers swirled in the air. Finally, Bright lay still, his broken body trapped under Saberclaw’s wicked paws.

The image blurred in front of Tam’s eyes - but this time it wasn’t a system problem. He blinked furiously, clearing his vision. The hollow ache in his chest from losing Bright joined all the other sorrows piled up there. Sure, it was just a game, but now he was alone. Again.