Chapter Twenty-One

That night, the Dark Queen haunted Tam’s dreams. Her midnight hair brushed his face while she whispered promises in his ear. She smelled of stars and roses.

Tam woke in the darkness, the scent of her still caught in his mouth. He lay awake, the silence broken by his brother’s soft snores, and tried to catch hold of the bits of dream floating in his mind. It was no use. He couldn’t remember her clearly enough. The only thing left was her laugh, sparkling like moonlight on frost.

When he woke again, sunlight was trickling into the room. His alarm buzzed beside him like an angry bee.

“Get up,” the Bug said from the couch, then yanked his own pillow over his head.

“You, too.” Tam sat up and pushed out of his sleeping bag. He smelled coffee. Mom must be up already - and cheerful as only her medication could make her.

“Good morning to the best boys in the world,” she said, coming in from the kitchen.

She handed Tam a mug of strong, milky coffee. Her hands shook, but Tam ignored the trembling and took a sip.

“Thanks - it’s delicious.” It didn’t matter that both the coffee and the milk were made from powder. Coming from her, it was the best thing in the world.

“Mmf,” his brother said.

“Hot chocolate for you.” There was a teasing note in Mom’s voice. She was so much better than he was at getting the Bug up and ready for school. When she was around.

When she wasn’t, Tam always ended up yanking the covers off his little brother and resorting to threats. He didn’t like it any better than the Bug, but nothing else seemed to work.

“Will you be home after school today, or are you seeing your friend again?” she asked.

“Uh.” He shifted and took a minute to find a shirt that wasn’t too dirty from the pile next to his bedroll. “Do you need me to come back right away?”

“Oh, honey.” She gave him a smile that lit her eyes. “I don’t mind either way. Peter and I keep good company. When he’s awake that is.” She cleared her throat, and his little brother suddenly sat up and started pulling on his clothes.

“Maybe I’ll go over to Jennet’s house again. If that’s ok.”

His mom spread jelly on a piece of bread for the Bug’s breakfast. “Jennet. So that’s her name. Do you still spend time with Marny, too?”

“Yeah. Though it’s been a while.” He hoped she wasn’t too pissed about it.

“I’m glad you have friends, Tam. Have fun this afternoon.”

Fun, yeah. Hopefully that wouldn’t include more in-game mangling. “I’ll be back in time for dinner.”

“That would be nice. I’ll make your favorite potatoes. And if your friend Jennet wants to come, she’s welcome. I’d like to meet her.”

Tam stared at the floor. Guess Mom didn’t remember opening the door for Jennet, or the wrist-chip that was so out of place here in the Exe. Didn’t remember the patina of wealth that lay over Jennet, making their place look dingy and derelict in comparison.

He sighed. “Ok Mom, thanks for the offer. I’d better get going.”

“Bye, honey.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek as he went out the door.

It was painful, her affection - it made the emptiness when she was gone even worse.

 # # #

 “So what’s up with your system?” Marny asked Tam at lunch.

“Spread out all over the floor, that’s what. The Bug’s working on it though.” The kid was even making some progress, though it was going to be a long time before his rig was playable. If ever. He took a bite of mushy noodles.

“You going to Zeg’s to play, then?”

“No.” He finished chewing. “I’ve been simming at Jennet’s.”

“Ah.” There was a world of understanding in the big girl’s voice.

He didn’t have to say that his mom was back, or defend his actions. No explanations necessary.

Marny glanced past him. “Speaking of Miss Fancy-pants…”

“You calling my name?” Jennet asked, setting her tray beside Tam’s.

 She sat down and flashed a quick smile across the table at Marny. Then she looked at Tam and her smile tilted a little, unsure.

Marny pointed her fork at them. “You guys simming this afternoon?”

“Yes,” Tam said, at the same moment that Jennet said, “No.”

The other girl raised an eyebrow. “That kind of mutual understanding is really inspiring, you know. Keep it up.”

Tam sent Marny a warning glance, but she just looked at him, like she was trying not to grin.

Jennet touched his arm. “How’s your leg feeling?”

Her eyes were troubled, and he knew she was trying to remind him of how dangerous Feyland was. But it wasn’t her choice. Not only did she need his help, things would get severe for everyone if the Dark Realm opened a gateway between the worlds.

“My leg is great.” He swiped his hair away from his eyes, so that Jennet could see how serious he was. “What are you doing for Halloween? Got plans?”

She stilled and her blue eyes widened. Yep - direct hit. He didn’t think he’d hear any more argument from her about how he shouldn’t play.

Marny was looking back and forth between the two of them. “Planning a party or something?”

She clearly could tell they were talking in layers here, but there was no way for her to guess how very deep they were.

“Something,” Tam said. “We’ll let you know.”

Too bad Marny wasn’t a simmer. She was smart and level-headed - two things that would be assets if she ever set foot in Feyland. But that wasn’t going to happen.

She gave a quick nod, her black hair swinging above her shoulders. “Alright.” Her gaze moved to Jennet. “Whatever’s going on, watch out for each other.”

“We will.” Jennet’s voice was steady, though he knew she was worried.

 He’d be worried, too, if he were marked as a human sacrifice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material!