Chapter Eight

The next days dragged. Jennet veered between elation that she’d finally, finally, found the gamer she needed, and frustration that he couldn’t play that instant.

She couldn’t expect him to understand her urgency - not when she hadn’t explained the problem to him. But the first step was getting him in-game. With his help, she was sure she could finally get deeper into Feyland.

During World History class on Thursday she couldn’t help but sneak glances at Tam. His hair was covering his eyes, as usual, and he didn’t look at her. Not once. That wasn’t good. Worry squeezed her lungs tight. When the bell rang, she took an extra long time packing up her satchel. Tam lagged behind too, and her breath eased.

“Well?” she asked as he paused by her desk. “Are we on for today?” We have to play. Please say yes.

“No.” He hunched his shoulders. “Maybe next week. See ya.”

“What… hey, wait up!” She reached for him as he stepped into the hallway, but he ignored her outstretched hand. He slipped into the crowd, seeming determined to get away. Disappointment raced through her as she scanned the students, trying to see which way he’d gone. How could he just leave like that?

“Don’t bother going after him,” said a voice at her shoulder.

Jennet turned to see Marny standing beside her. The big girl didn’t look friendly - but she didn’t look too mean, either.

“Hi, Marny.”

The girl waved down the hall to where Tam had disappeared. “Tam’s like that. He doesn’t explain things, so don’t even ask.”

Jennet folded her arms. “Why do you think I would ask him something, anyway?”

“Oh please.” Marny flicked her gaze up to the ceiling, then back to Jennet. “Obviously you’ve talked to him. Besides, he told me about you, too.”

Surprise jolted through her. “He did? What did he say?”

“Not much.” A look of irritation crossed Marny’s round face. “Even for Tam, he was remarkably quiet. I hope you’re not just messing with him.”

“I wouldn’t—”

“Good.” Marny leaned forward. “The two of us go way back, and if you hurt him, you’ll be hurting too.”

“Ok.” Jennet held up her hands. “Message received. Are the two of you…umm, together?”

“No. Nothing like that. But he’s a good guy, and I don’t want to see some rich girl screwing with his head just because she can.”

“How do you know he’s not screwing with mine?” She was going to be late for her next class, but she didn’t care. “How come he can’t make plans? What’s wrong with him, anyway?”

“Hey.” Marny’s voice grew softer. “He’s got it rough. I bet he didn’t tell you about his mom.”

“All I know is he has a little brother.” And lived in a falling down shack in the worst part of town. And was a flawless gamer.

“Well, it’s his life. He can tell you if he wants. But it’s complicated.”

Like anyone’s life was simple. A piece of her soul was trapped in a computer game and it was literally killing her. How was that for complicated?

There had to be some way to make this work - some way to break Tam free from his life for at least an afternoon. He had to come over and play Feyland on the Full-D. She had to get back in game, before it was too late.

She looked at Marny. “Do you ever… babysit?”

“No.” The big girl’s eyes widened. “No way. I am not watching that crazy kid brother of his so the two of you can go mess around together.”

Heat rushed into Jennet’s cheeks. “I’m not interested in him like that.”

“Well, you’re interested somehow.”

Jennet opened her hands. “There’s stuff I can’t explain, either.”

“Ah. Are you sure you don’t have some kind of pervy fixation?” Speculation flashed in Marny’s dark brown eyes. “Those questions. About gaming. Why did you ask me?”

“I figured you pay attention.”

“Really.” Marny’s expression hardened. “Why’s that?”

“For one thing, you seemed like the smartest person in the Gaming Club. And you’re different.”

Marny’s mouth twisted. “Different. That’s not quite a compliment.”

“Well, it’s not an insult, either.” Jennet glanced down the hall, where the parade of look-alike students was starting to thin out. “Especially at Crestview.”

“Heh.” A half-smile ghosted across Marny’s face. “I—” The blare of the second bell cut through whatever she had been about to say. She hefted her battered purple backpack onto her shoulder. “Gotta run. See you later, Fancy-girl.”

The way she said the words, they weren’t quite an insult, either. There had been an undercurrent of approval in the big girl’s voice. Maybe, just maybe…

Marny stopped partway down the hall and swung around. She pointed at Jennet. "I'm not making any promises. But - make sure you're free tomorrow after school."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material!