Chapter Thirty

“Marny!” Jennet called as she caught sight of the big girl in the halls. “Do you know where—”

“No. I have no idea where Tam is this morning, if that’s what you’re asking.”

Jennet’s spirits sank. She had tried messaging him about a hundred times, but could never get through. “I just was hoping that you knew—”

“Look.” Marny crossed her arms. “It’s great that you and Tam are friends and everything. You probably know more about him by now than me, ok? So don’t bug me. Anyway, probably half the Exe is sleeping late. It was a crazy night.”

A chill crawled across Jennet’s skin. “A crazy night? In what way?”

“In a freaky-noises-echoing-around-the-sky-like-a-nightmare way. I should be asleep right now, if I had any sense.”

“Did it sound like… hounds baying and sort of screechy music? A low, deep horn? Like that?” Jennet’s throat was tight.

“Yeah, like that.” Marny narrowed her eyes. “What do you know about it?”

“It’s complicated.”

There, Marny’s warning not to pry, right back at her. No way was Jennet going to try to explain the Wild Hunt, here in the middle of Crestview High’s halls. Even if Marny believed her - and Jennet had a feeling she might - it was safer for her not to know.

“Marny,” Jennet said, “if you hear that again…”

She shivered, she couldn’t help it. The Hunt was loose in their world. And she and Tam were their prey. Please, let him be safe.

“What?” Marny asked.

“Just, stay inside. And, um, make a line of salt under your windows and doors.” She wasn’t sure that piece of lore about protection from the faeries was true, but every bit helped.

“Salt. Uh huh.” Marny gave her a searching look, and then shook her head. “I’ll see you around,” she said as she walked away.

Jennet took a deep breath as she watched the girl turn the corner. Tam was fine, he had to be. Maybe a little late to school, but she would see him soon.

Soon.

But soon never came. In Ms. Lewis’ World History class, Jennet couldn’t stop glancing at Tam’s empty seat. She looked over there so often that stupid Rod Dermont thought she was flirting with him. He wiggled his eyebrows and pursed his lips into a kiss, so Jennet stopped looking behind her.

All right. She had to find Tam, which meant going back into the Exe. The Hunt didn’t ride during the day, did they?

The last bell echoed behind her as she hesitated on the steps. George would be here soon to pick her up. Could she get him to take her to the Exe? Or should she call him and tell him to pick her up later? The rule was she had to be home by five. At least Dad trusted her enough to do what she wanted after school.

Well, if the Dark Queen opened the gate to their world, it would hardly matter. They had four days. Which meant she had to go find Tam.

She had her tablet out, ready to let George know to come by for her later, when the screen lit up. Message from Tam!

Her legs suddenly soft as dough, Jennet sank down on the steps to read. It was terse, like all his messages, but at least now she knew he was alive.

:Jennet, don’t worry. Need a day or two. Don’t come find me. Sorry. Tam:

Relief blurred into anger. Need a day or two? A day or two? They didn’t have that kind of time. What did he think this was, anyway? Some delusional fantasy of hers? She jumped up and paced to the street. How could he take this so lightly? She could die. Thomas had said as much, and Tam didn’t even care.