Chapter 3: Escape from Gehenna

Wasteland outside of Azael's kingdom

The three kings ran for a good distance, making sure they were not being followed. They had made it pretty far into one of the wastelands surrounding Azael's kingdom.

"Think we lost them?" Rin asked.

"For now." Was Egyn's reply.

"Good, I was on my way to find you." Said an emotionless voice behind Rin.

Amaimon, king of earth, sat on a large boulder sucking on a lollypop.

"I need to make trip to Assiah and get more candy." Why else would he need to go to Assiah? "And I just happen to know where a Gehenna Gate is opening."

Every now and then a gate leading to Assiah would open of its own accord. It would appear randomly, and only stay open for a short time. It wasn't exactly like the gate Satan opened. It was smaller and didn't draw the exorcist attention. Each king could make their own opening to Assiah and Rin could summon the Gehenna gate, but that took a lot of energy. It was much easier to use a gate that was already there.

"Absolutely not!" Egyn declared. "No one is leaving Gehenna without father's permission. And seeing how well the pyro's have pissed him off, I don't think he's going to say yes." 

"Come on Egyn don't be like that." Rin whined.

"By the way why are the guards chasing you?" Amaimon inquired.

"Father won't let Iblis and I hang out." 

"That's probably because the last time you guys were together you burned half the west forest." Amaimon said in his same bored voice.

"Why does everyone keep saying that! It looks better now!" Iblis yelled. He was getting really irritated.

"Hey guys. I think they found us." Rin warned.

"The gates that way." Amaimon pointed.

"Don't you dare!" Egyn tried to stop them, but they had already started running. He chased after his younger brothers, who were determined to make it to Assiah and anger their father even more.

As they ran they could see the gate open. It would only stay open for a few minutes. Amaimon was the first to jump through the gate followed by Iblis and Rin without hesitation.

"No! No! No!" Egyn shouted. The guards were quickly approaching. He looked at them and then back at the gate. With a deep sigh and a hand over his eyes, he jumped in after them. He convinced himself he was only going to make sure his brothers didn't do anything stupid, well stupider.

One of the biggest problems with using a gate was that not only did it appear randomly, but it also opened somewhere randomly in Assiah. This gate happed to open up hundreds of feet in the air. But that wasn't a problem for the demon kings.

"Hey look who joined the party." Iblis laughed.

"I knew you'd change your mind." Rin agreed.

"I'm only here to make sure you three behave and don't do anything stupid."

"Sure, you are." Rin mocked.

"Ground." Was the only warning Amaimon gave before they hit the forest floor.

After regaining their footing, they headed towards the nearest town, which luckily wasn't too far away. The first thing they noticed when they reached the outskirts of the city were the strong wards put in place, but they were still easy enough for the kings to break through.

The first thing Rin and Amaimon did was separated from the other two and run off to find the nearest candy store.   

 After "convincing" the owner of the shop to give them the candy for free, the two went off and played around town.

Out of all his brothers, Rin and Amaimon got along the best. Maybe it was because Rin had a longer history with him, or the fact that they were both childish, but that could be said about all his brothers. When he really thought hard, it was probably also because Amaimon was the one that saved him and brought him to Gehenna. And as he was transitioning to his new life in Gehenna Amaimon stayed by his side when he needed someone the most.    

 Egyn and Iblis had lost track of the two and were now searching the city for them. In the middle of looking for their younger brothers, Egyn suddenly froze.

"What is it?" Iblis asked.

Egyn lifted his nose and sniffed the air. The wind carried the scent of holly water and sliver, a smell that always seemed to follow the exorcists.

"Company." Egyn warned.