Chapter 26: Family Meeting

Location: Gehenna, Satan's Castle, Meeting Room

Rin and Amaimon entered the room to find Iblis, Astaroth, Azazel and Beelzebub already inside. Normally, this room was used by the nine Demon Kings, Satan and the four generals. They typically discussed ways to keep order in each of Gehenna's Realms. It also severed as a meeting place to plan battle strategy against exorcists or wayward groups of demons. Today, however, it would only house the nine Demon Kings. With there father missing Azazel had ordered the four generals to keep their armies on standby and to heighten security. 

Rin and Amaimon sat across from each other at the long table, waiting for the last of their brothers to arrive. No one said a word. They all knew what was happening. The discussion would wait until they were all there. 

Rin couldn't stop thinking about his twin no matter how hard he tried. The encounter and the events after would not leave him alone. He supposed that was natural, after all its not everyday that your long thought dead brother and friends come back to life and end up in Gehenna. He had been on some crazy adventures over the years with his older brothers, but this one tops them all. 

He was hoping that by the end of the ordeal that some kind of understanding would be reached between Yukio and himself. He wasn't really looking for approval, but more for... well understanding. He just wanted Yukio to know his reasoning. That he made this choice and know one forced him. Amaimon did, in a way, kidnap him, but it was because the exorcist were about to kill him. He was brought to Gehenna and was given the chance to leave if he wanted. His father knew that Rin had to make the choice himself, preferably under different circumstances then being sentenced to execution by exorcists. But that wasn't the case and Rin meant it when he said to Yukio he never regretted his decision. He remembered being an exwire and the constant fear he felt. He was always under pressure with the threat of death just from existing to not mess up. With his power sealed and his refusal to accept his demon side, made controlling his flames and his temper much harder. There were times when he didn't know what to do. The uncertainty and the self loathing were always gnawing at him. But in Gehenna he never had a doubt. He was never lost and if he was his family helped him find his way again. 

The door opening startled Rin out of his thoughts. He looked up to see Mephisto entering and taking his usual seat. He too said nothing. They waited a few more minutes before the doors opened once again. This time they revealed Egyn and Lucifer.  

Even with all nine brothers seated in the room, it still felt empty. And the circumstances surrounding their gathering didn't help lift their spirits either. 

Lucifer immediately stood at the head of the table. This was no time to be idle, and as the oldest it was his responsibility to take charge.  

 "There's good news and bad news." Lucifer began. In a less urgent situation Mephisto would have started teasing the oldest for not giving them a proper hello. "The good news is that I think I know where father is. The bad news is where that is." He turned to look at Rin. "But before that what of the humans? Egyn told me that the human twin was here." 

"Back in Assiah." Mephisto replied. Lucifer's head swiveled "I saw to it personally that the curse placed on the boy was reversed and he and his little group were returned. I tried to talk to the exorcists but as you can imagine they were not too happy with my presence."

"No surprise there." Iblis cut in. "Like they'd ever be willing to talk with a demon."

"Relations with the exorcist have gotten much worse in the past few hundred years." Egyn was sure they were up to something. Before the exorcist would at least be semi willing to hear them out. Now it seemed it was kill on sight.