Chapter 20: A Demons Eyes

Gehenna: Satan's Castle

Thoughts of the Earth King plagued Rin, but he couldn't let himself be distracted. His focus needed to be on the lizard the size of Kuro in his released form. Yet another question on Rin's mind. Where was Kuro? He was sure the cat sidhe was in the castle. He hoped nothing had happened to him.

Rin pushed himself off the floor and grabbed Kurikara, which had been reluctantly discarded when Rin hit the wall. The humans were putting up a fight, but couldn't defeat it. With Kurikara in hand and flames around him, Rin charged the lizard. It used the same strategy and attacked Rin with its tail. The blue flamed demon, however, was more prepared this time. Rin evaded the monsters tail and slashed a deep wound on its back leg. The beast turned and clawed at Rin. It missed, destroying the floor in the process.

While the two were distracted with each other, Shura and Yukio  attacked from behind. They managed to injure the beast. It turned back to the humans, much more ferocious then before. The younger more inexperienced exorcists wouldn't stand a chance. When Rin realized they wouldn't be able to survive the attack, he tried to stop the lizard, only making it angrier.

It whipped its tail around, hitting Shiemi. The monster sent her crashing through a window, sending shattered glass across the floor. Wide eyed, Rin went to catch Shiemi. A fall from that height would kill her.

Thankfully Kuro had made his reappearance, and switching to his larger form, help distract the lizard.     

Rin jumped out the window and reached out his hand.

"Shiemi!" He shouted.

Though dazed, she heard his call. When she saw his eyes she was reminded of the Rin she once knew. It felt like she was really seeing her old friend and not the boy hiding behind the mask of a demon. She knew she could trust those eyes. She reached out her hand.

Rin held her close as they returned to the others. He sat her down. Looking around, Rin didn't see the the lizard, but at the moment he didn't care, as long as everyone was alive.

"Is everyone okay?" Rin asked,his words genuinely drenched in concern.

"What the hell is going on!" Yukio yelled. He was sick of Rin lying and wanted to know the truth.

"I don't know anymore about what just happened than you do!" Rin answered in a half truth. He knew Isolde's army were in Gehenna, but he didn't know why they attacked his father, instead of Yukio, and he didn't know how he was defeated. A fact Rin still refused to believe.

"What happened to you Rin? I used to be able to trust you, now you're just another demon." The brothers locked eyes. Yukio's full of intense betrayal and Rin's full of defense and pain.

Those piercing blue eyes that hid the pain beneath suddenly turned dull. They no longer hid pain nor showed emotion. There was no vibrant color, no fire behind them. They were a vacant shine, pale, unfocused, and saw nothing. Rin fell to his knees, then face first on the floor. Broken glass was stained red as Rin's blood soaked everything around him.

Yukio stared petrified at the gaping wound that went through Rin's back. He looked up behind Rin and saw a bloodied weapon in the hands of one of Isolde's warriors. Instinctively he drew his twin pistols and shot at the being. It fled, but he took some comfort in knowing that he had at least injured it.

He turned his attention back to Rin. He didn't know what to do, but he knew he had to do something and fast. Rin may have been a demon, but that was an unhealthy amount of blood on the floor, and Kuro couldn't keep that lizard at bay forever. He looked back at his group, but they were just as lost as he. They had all been to distracted by their arguing to notice the new presence that had just fatal injured Rin.

"Go! Run!" Yukio shouted.

"Where do you want us to go? This isn't exactly our world!" Shura shouted back.

"I don't know, but we need to move!" Yukio knelt down next to Rin. He picked him up as carefully as he could and draped one of Rin arms around his shoulder. They started leaving, but it was clear Yukio was having trouble moving Rin. Yukio was dragging his elder twin, all while the latter continued to spill inhumanly amounts of blood.

Bon didn't want to help the filthy demon, but the other part of his brain remembered Rin as his friend and he couldn't just stand there and watch him bleed to death. It made him feel weak and powerless and he hated it. He turned around to help Yukio. Bon draped Rin's other arm around his shoulder. The two carried Rin between them as they ran in any direction that seemed better. They ran into another hallway.

"This isn't working. He's loosing to much blood!" Yukio said.

It was then that some low level demons surrounded and attacked them. The lesser demons still left in the castle did not know why humans were in the castle, but they did know one thing. They were going to save the youngest prince from them. They didn't realize, however, that they were actually making things worse.

It was hard for Yukio to fight while still holding on to Rin.

"You kids take Rin and hide we'll hold them off." Shura said while defending Yukio, Bon, and Rin.

Yukio helped Bon get Rin on his back so he could piggyback him. It was an odd sensation for Bon, he was carrying Rin, a wounded prince of hell, to safety.

As they ran off, Bon could feel the warmth of the blood on his back, soaking through his shirt. He wasn't sure if he should worry or not. A human would never have survived being stab through the back with a ridiculously huge weapon and even if they did live they would have died from the blood loss. But Rin was a demon and he knew that they had a lot more blood to spare. They were also quick to heal.

Rin was always a quick healer, so he probably didn't have to worry, so why was he? Why did he care so much about Rin's survival?

----------------------------------------

Just so you know I don't ship Rin and Shiemi. It's cool if you do, but for my story they're just friends and I felt like if anyone was going to have an emotional breakthrough about Rin it would be shiemi