chapter 2

The next morning the family were alerted to the fact it was morning by the knocking on the door. In the rush they didn't notice that Kevin and Chelsea were still asleep on the third floor. The parents were in a frenzy again as they quickly collected everyone realizing their clocks had been shut off and were hurrying to the vans to take them to their vacation spot.

Kevin woke up suddenly, a little too late to meet up with anyone. He yawned and stretched, and felt alone suddenly. "Mom? Dad? Buzz?" he called everyone's names as he wandered the house. "Moooom! Daaaad! Chelsea!?" he looked around, but saw no one. Not even Chelsea was there, but the bathroom door was closed. Either she was in there or he was just home alone. "Jeez, where are you guys? Is this a joke?" Kevin wandered the floors alone, dead silent, but he heard some shower water running.

"Just a minute, Kev!" a tired sounding, muffled voice could be heard. A couple minutes later, there came out a cleaner looking Chelsea. She offered a small smile to him.

"Chels, where is everybody?" Kevin asked, rubbing his eye awake. "I've looked everywhere, but you're the only one I've seen today!"

"Maybe you got your wish..." Chelsea lightly yawned and smiled at him.

"My wish...?" Kevin said to himself, thinking. "I can't believe it, I made our whole family disappear..." He heard the voices of everyone else arguing and insulting him echo in his brain. He wanted them gone, he wanted to be with Chelsea, the only one who could understand and relate to him.

"Kevin, you and Chelsea are, what the French call, 'les incompétents'!" their sister, Linnie said.

"Of all the people in this house, you and Chelsea are always the ones who have to go and cause trouble!" their mother nagged.

"Hey, I'm gonna feed you and Chelsea to my snake!" Buzz hissed.

"Look what you did, you little jerks!" Uncle Frank barked at them for dripping the soda pop last night.

Kevin then had a creepy smirk as he thought maybe Christmas was full of miracles such as this. "I made our whole family disappear!"

"What would you like for breakfast?" Chelsea asked with a smile.

"Chocolate chip pancakes!"

"You got it, squirt, with extra chocolate chips!"

Chelsea headed to the kitchen to cook herself and Kevin some breakfast. She was kind of happy that she and Kevin were alone in the house for now, after all, none of the other family members were there to bully them, ignore them, or even annoy them. Kevin felt victorious with having the house to himself and Chelsea and he decided to do what he had always wanted to do with his new power since no one else was there.

Kevin explored the house like he had never did before with this whimsical new Christmas celebration between him and his sister. He jumped up and down on his bed with the stereo blasting, fell off, but he laughed. He then went inside Buzz's room and opened the secret chest.

"Oh, Buzz, I'm going through your stuff!" Kevin called. "Aren't you gonna come out and beat me up?" he then continued to search, found some firecrackers and decided to save those for later. He kept looking and cringed once he saw a strange looking girl. "Buzz, your girlfriend, woof!"

Chelsea took her time to do things she wasn't usually allowed to do. She 'ice skated' around the kitchen in her socks, listened to some music she wasn't normally allowed to, and explored with Kevin. She added some soothing balm to his face as he experimented with the stinging cream, she was amused he was stung, but not in a nasty way like how everyone else would be. Chelsea then took a break to make Kevin and her's favorite foods for lunch and dinner.

The evening came soon before they both knew it, but this was a wonderful day to not be wasted. Kevin took out an adult movie once the fridge was nearly cleaned out. "We should probably shop for Mom and Dad, being on our own for a while."

"We'll go tomorrow." Chelsea told him once they were getting settled and cringed slightly from Kevin's suggestion of the movie. "You think you can handle it?"

"How bad can it be? This movie's black and white!" Kevin laughed.

"Alright, your choice." Chelsea shrugged, handing him a bowl of the popcorn she made for the two of them.

The siblings watched the movie, not missing a moment. Kevin was really enjoying his first R-rated movie without his parents getting nit picky as always on him for watching such a film. Also Chelsea wouldn't get in trouble since no one knew she was letting him watch it. Kevin had the couch to himself as Chelsea sat in their father's chair.

"Guys! We're eating junk food and watching an R-rated movie!" Kevin called as they watched the movie. "Aren't you gonna come out and stop us?" He couldn't help but test if today was a dream or fate.

Kevin however, felt scared. He buried his face in his hands and screamed as the gunman shot down someone with a horrifying laugh. Chelsea went to him, nearly spilling the bowl of popcorn and hugged him gently.

"Oh, Kev, it's okay, it's not real," Chelsea stroked his hair. "It's not real."

Kevin whimpered slightly and held her back. "His laugh..."

The gunman's laughter was rather cruel and black-hearted.

Kevin quickly grabbed the remote and put the movie on pause. "Another scary thing is that heater down in the basement...It just... bothers me..."

Chelsea rubbed his back. "I know what you mean, but I told it off and from then on it didn't bother me."

"Told it off?" Kevin smiled, feeling brave now.

"Yeah, I told it off." Chelsea said with a smile and nod.

Kevin smiled, returning the hug. Chelsea then put on a lighter movie, It's a Wonderful Life, and allowed Kevin to soothe his fears. The two found themselves getting sleepy. Chelsea allowed Kevin to stay up as late as he wanted, just so long he doesn't go wild at 3:00 AM. Kevin fell asleep during a special part of the movie, passed out on the couch. He sensed a disturbance and looked out the window to see a couple of crooked looking men with crow-bars, about to break in the house. Kevin got on his feet and turned on the basement lights to trail them off.

The eight-year-old boy heard the men outside talking about their family going on vacation today, and thought because of the lights that they were home. Kevin smirked, as he had protected the house from certain doom and decided to go upstairs to bed before Chelsea would get worried or wonder why he was staying up so late. Tomorrow is a new day. He wondered if he and Chelsea would still be home alone by tomorrow.