chapter 3

Another morning casted over the McCallister household. Kevin remembered suggesting that he and Chelsea should shop for their parents and he noticed his toothbrush was missing. Only, Kevin didn't have any money for himself. He remembered that Buzz had a wad of cash in his room and decided to go get it since no one will ever know.

Kevin felt nervous and was about to get Chelsea, but it would probably be better if she didn't know about the money. Kevin climbed the shelf with the money on it, but the shelf plummeted backward and Kevin landed onto Buzz's stuff. Kevin mumbled, but wasn't hurt too bad and collected the money with a smile.

Chelsea had been brushing her hair and got dressed into a pair of winter jeans, a warm turtleneck sweater, with a white hooded jacket over it and her best winter boots. She finished her hair and smiled at Kevin. "Ready to go?"

Kevin nodded.

"Okay, get your winter clothes on." Chelsea advised.

"Of course." Kevin left to get his jacket, warm pants, and regular shoes bought from the first day of school. He felt all snug and followed his sister to the market, keeping the money tight and hidden.

Both siblings noticed a strange van in their neighbor's driveway. The family that owned the house had gone on vacation, but it was probably house sitters. Chelsea didn't force Kevin to hold her hand, but only when they are crossing roads and him being eight, she would have been irresponsible if she didn't. She thought the money was from his piggy bank and luckily for her, she had forgotten her purse and Kevin had control of the payments. The crooks glanced at the McCallister siblings, one of them was the security guard talking with their father before everyone left! He was with his sidekick.

Harry, the shorter, fatter guy watched them go and frowned slightly, though he didn't react more than that. He thought all of them would be gone, but either way, it was just a kid and a girl. Easily taken care of.

"That girl's pretty," Marv, the sidekick, spoke up. "But that kid's in the way. How'd he score a girl that size? Isn't he like, four?" Marv was rather slow and not as smart as his friend, but he was always good company in the least.

Harry looked at him. "No, you idiot, that girl's his sister!" he smacked Marv with the book of codes he had. He was annoyed, but amused from the way his friend thought.

Marv flinched from the impact and rubbed his head. "I thought you said they went to Paris anyway."

"They were meant to be," Harry glanced at the house. "But I bet it's just those two home... A girl and a kid, we can take care of them easily."

"We can get them at dark," Marv grinned, sadistically. "Kids and girls are ascared of the dark!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "You're afraid of the dark, Marv." It was a good idea though. He hated kids and only thought of women being good for one thing, though none wanted anything to do with him often.

"So, we gonna bust their house tonight?"

"A little eager, aren't we? Sure we can, I was planning that anyways."

Harry and Marv chuckled together. Harry then went to discuss Marv about their master plan tonight.

Chelsea grabbed a basket from the shop once she came inside with Kevin. "Right, so we'll get bread and milk first, we need that."

"Oh, I guess we could get those too." Kevin shrugged, but he would do it if she told him to.

"Then we can get some stuff we want." Chelsea winked in a joking way to amuse him and make him happy.

"Okay!" Kevin laughed.

Chelsea smiled. She lead the way to the shelf where the bread was, took a loaf and then got the milk. She then let Kevin lead her to the food aisle he wanted to look at. She wanted him to be happy too, as they always made each other happy whenever life knocked them down a bit.

Kevin looked at some food and tooth brushes on display. Some of the workers glanced at them, wondering why an eight year old boy was in the store alone if they didn't see Chelsea with him. There was one worker sweeping the floor, but didn't seem really social and didn't bother the brother and sister together.

Chelsea smiled and helped him pick a toothbrush. "Good dental hygiene is essential" she tells him, with a chuckle. She then looked at the brown-haired, slim bodied worker and looked confused a minute. She then smiled and walked up to the worker.

"Make sure you mop up aisle three." a teenage employee told the worker.

"Yes." the girl nodded and continued to broom up the section she was in now. The worker made Chelsea think she was her friend from a few years ago. The girl then lifted up her head, beaming. "Chelsea, hey! Long time no see!"

Chelsea smiled. "How are you?" She wanted to make sure she had an eye on Kevin just as well as her old school friend.

"I'm fine," the girl smiled, then spotted Kevin. "Oh, taking your brother to the market? Is that Buzz? He looks different than I remember..."

Chelsea looked fully back at Kevin, then back to her friend. "No, that's Kevin, my youngest brother. I wouldn't be taking that creep Buzz anywhere."

"Oh, Kevin..." the girl looked closely and smiled. "I think I saw a baby picture of him once..."

Chelsea then decided to quickly scribble down her home phone number. "Call me whenever you want, Max." she smiled at her old friend, then noticed something horribly wrong as Kevin took the toothbrush.

"Thanks, Chels, if you get an unknown caller, that's probably me." Max snickered and happily took the paper, placing it in her pocket.

"Clean up on aisle three, Maxine!" a voice boomed from the speaker.

"Oh, snap!" Max dashed down the aisle with her mop.

"Kevin, aren't you gonna pay for that?" Chelsea whispered to her brother.

Kevin's eyes froze on Old Man Marley. He was right next to the little boy, frightening him. The store people were telling Kevin he needed to pay for the toothbrush, but Kevin grabbed Chelsea's hand and ran out the store with her and didn't stop until they were safely home.

"Kevin, what happened?" Chelsea asked.

"Old Man Marley..." Kevin frowned.

"Ah, Kevin, he probably just needs a friend or something." Chelsea hugged him.

Kevin then cried once they were home alone again. The criminal thing still bothered him deeply.