Chapter 17

Finn insisted that he would oversee delivery of the gifts, and that they would not change their plans for the day. So they got on the road for Stars Hollow, where Lorelai had reserved a room for them at The Dragonfly. Rory was exhausted and fell asleep as soon as they hit the highway.

Logan watched her sleeping peacefully with the seat laid back. How had he gotten so lucky? They had been so busy this week that there had been no time to sit down, just the two of them, and talk. He knew that they desperately needed to. He had a plan, but he wouldn't move forward with it until they talked through what had gone on in the last several months and what their future looked like. Yes, they were engaged, but beyond that and the apartment, nothing had been sorted really.

He told himself that was the next step. Staying at The Dragonfly would give them some time to talk and get out anything and everything that they needed to.

He pulled up to the inn and gently woke Rory.

"Did I sleep the whole way?" She asked groggily.

He nodded and grinned, "being an incubator is tiring my dear. Let's get you inside."

"You know, I actually prefer incubator over other things," she said thoughtfully, "it's much better than cow or whale."

"If anybody calls you a cow or a whale, you can rest assured that they will find out what it's like to be a punching bag. You are my radiant fiancé, who just happens to be carrying our little girl." He kissed her on top of the head as they walked through the front door, "and you are doing an amazing job if I may say so myself!"

They turned towards the front desk just in time to greet Michel. "Rory! You are absolutely glowing!" He gave her a hug as she chuckled.

"Thank you Michel. I don't always feel like it, but it is pretty amazing."

"Logan nice to see you again," he said and shook his hand.

"You too Michel, especially under better circumstances."

"Here are your keys, the room number is on the keychain. Logan, do you need help with bags?"

"No, thank you, I'm going to help Rory up to the room and then I'll get them." He waited until they were safely in their room to ask about Michel's surprisingly sunny demeanor. "So is that the same guy who tried to kill me when I came here to talk to your mom about getting back together?"

She just chuckled, "yes, one and the same. Apparently he just got a new puppy, so the world is bright and sunny and full of wonder at the moment."

He just shook his head. "Alright, so you get comfortable while I get our bags and decide what you want to do."

Fifteen minutes later, Logan brought in the last two bags. "So, is now a good time to tell me that we are actually moving in here and that's why you brought so many bags?"

Rory rolled her eyes, "ha ha, I like to be prepared."

"For the apocalypse?"

She just shook her head, having Logan back with all their banter was extremely comforting. She had been trying to figure out what they should do, but she already knew, they needed to talk. They still hadn't really talked about the last six months, and, if they were truly going to build a life together, everything needed to be out in the open and laid out bare for both of them.

He sat down next to her own on the bed, "So, what next?"

The million dollar question, yes, they were engaged and having a baby together, but it wasn't so simple. "Well, we've been so busy...we haven't really had time to talk trough everything..."

"How about we have supper in our room and just spend the evening together?"

She nodded and took out the menu. After they ordered, they changed into their pajamas and got comfy. Since Sookie was cooking and knew it was for them, they got double what they ordered and very quickly.

Once they were settled and eating, he looked at her, "Well Ace? Who goes first?"

"Where did you go?"

"You saw the postcards, I picked a different country, different city, each week..."

"Why?"

"I thought I would be harder to find if it was as random and scattered as possible."

"Why?"

He took a deep breath, "I didn't want to be found because I didn't want to answer the questions 'how are you feeling?' 'What happened?' 'When are you coming back?' 'Why did she say no?' Mostly because I didn't even know the answers to those. I was so lost, and all I wanted to do was forget."

"Did you do anything dangerous...like the cliff jumping?"

"Besides drinking way too much, no."

She looked nervous about the next question, which was making him nervous. "Was there anyone else?"

He knew the question would come at some point, especially after the bridesmaids. This time they had actually said the words and broken up though. "Honest?" She nodded. "I tried...I thought I would just be sleeping with women left and right. My first stop, I told myself I just needed to get really drunk the first night. Then the second night I thought the same, and so on. So I realized the next week, I still hadn't slept with anyone, and I just needed someone else to get my mind off of you. I found some blonde bimbo, chatted her up, convinced her to come back to my room. We got there, and I tried to kiss her but all I could see was you. I got pissed and kicked her out. I tried a few more times, but I could never see anyone but you. It was actually worse when I was trying to...you know...move on...so I focused on the drinking."

"Logan," she took his hand, "the ultimatum...why?"

And the big question, why did he let it all go to begin with? "I had this picture in my head. The house, the avocado tree, you and me married...I started to think that it all had to be that one way and why shouldn't it be? We loved each other, why not get married? I knew you were it for me, and I was damn sure you thought the same. I never stopped to think that maybe you weren't quite ready for that step. I should have." He squeezed her hand. "What I honestly didn't picture? You pregnant...at least not right away...all it took was that single thing to throw the picture out the window and see how much better it could be."

He pulled he in close. She smiled, "do you have any for me?"

He nodded. "Was there anyone else for you?"

She looked up at him surprised, "in the one week between breaking up and finding out about our little gift? No, girls aren't quite wired that way...well at least not me. I wallowed...so much. I thought about calling you so many times. I just couldn't figure out what to say...besides begging you to come back. Then I found out about the baby. As soon as I realized I was late, I knew that baby or no baby, I wanted you back. Just the prospect of having your child filled me with so much love and hope. I realized that there was no one else I wanted to have kids with...make a life with."

"So definitely not Finn?"

"Oh my god! I thought we went over this!"

"Hey, you said it yourself, pregnancy hormones..."

She hit him on the shoulder. "Absolutely not, I may not have a brother, but, if I did, it would be like that," she said with a shudder.

"I don't know if I have the right to ask this, but, you sounded pretty low the last couple messages...did you ever think it wasn't worth waiting for?"

"No, I missed you like crazy and I was sad, but I took care of myself and the baby for you. I just prayed you hadn't found something easier and better."

He saw the worry all over her face again, "hey, look at me, there might be easier girls, but not a damn one of them can hold a candle to you. Got it?"

She nodded and they talked and rested the whole evening.