( ii ) THE BONFIRE

FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, Victoria had to occupy herself whilst everybody worked, since Alby had told her to regain her strength for when she starts trying out tomorrow

FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, Victoria had to occupy herself whilst everybody worked, since Alby had told her to regain her strength for when she starts trying out tomorrow. She was sat back against a tree when she heard footsteps approaching her. Looking up from the daisy pinched between her fingers to see a younger boy, a little chunkier than the others with a mop of chocolate curls.

"Hey, Greenie." He flashed her a toothy smile, sitting down beside her. "Nice to finally meet you," He offered her his hand. "I'm Chuck, the Greenie before you arrived."

Victoria smiled kindly and shook his hand, feeling comfortable around him already. "Nice to meet you. I'm —" She paused, remembering she didn't know her name. "It's okay. It's frustrating at first, but you'll get it back soon." Chuck reassured her as they both watched the other boys working. "Why do they all keep staring at me?" Victoria whispered, feeling a different pair of eyes on her every so often.

"You're the first and only girl to come up in the box. They're curious," Chuck shrugged his slumped shoulders. "That makes you different, I guess."

"I don't understand," She licked her lips with furrowed eyebrows. "If they've been sending boys here all this time, why would they suddenly put me in here?"

"You know as much as the rest of us," The young boy chuckled. "But you look nicer than the rest of them, so I'm not complaining." His statement made her giggle softly, looking back down at the grass. "What do you mean? Newt's nice." She insisted, his face popping up in her mind.

"Yeah, he is. Minho's all right, when he's not being a drama queen." Chuck noticed the red tint blossoming within her cheeks. "Aw, you're blushing. Does someone have a crush on Newt?" He teased, making her jaw drop with a gasp. "What? No! No, I've only just met the guy." She ignored the grin spread across his face. "Sure. . ." He dragged out, deciding to drop it for now.

Victoria, the name popped into her head as her mind had drifted off to what she saw whilst she was out. "Oh my god." She whispered, earning a frown from Chuck. "What is it?" Her features twisted into an expression of realisation, happiness and relief. "Victoria," She spoke. "My name is Victoria." 

Chuck's grin widened excitedly for her as he once again, offered her his hand. "Nice to meet you, Victoria." She accepted it and couldn't help but feel giddy with achievement.

"What's got you smiling, Greenbean?" Another voice entered the conversation, the figure known as Newt approaching them. "She remembered her name!" Chuck informed him brightly, jumping up onto his feet. "Go on, tell him! Tell him your name!"

"Calm down, buddy," Newt chuckled to the younger boy and looked back at the girl. "So, what do they call you?"

"Victoria." She replied, biting down on her lip shyly. Newt's eyes washed over with a sparkle, his lips curving into a wide smile. "Victoria," He nodded, testing how the name rolls off his tongue. "I like it. Welcome to the family, Victoria."