( xv ) THE MAZE

NUMB. That's all Newt felt. Numb with anger, numb with fear, numb with anxiety. He was angry at Victoria for running into the maze so carelessly, he feared that he would never see her face again, and he felt anxious at the fact that he had to sit around and wait to see if his friends were dead or alive.

He hadn't moved from the doors since they closed, and neither had Frypan, Chuck or Adrian. Gally had sat with them for a while before heading to his hammock for the night. Adrian watched the blonde bounce his leg up and down continuously, biting at his nails. He could see the glass covering his mocha orbs, threatening to shatter into a million tears.

"She's gonna make it, Newt," Adrian piped up with certainty. "Vic's a smart girl, and tough as old boots. They'll all make it back, I know it."

"Ads is right. She survived Carl, she'll survive this." Chuck agreed, picking at the grass beneath them.

As much as Newt appreciated them trying, their words didn't change anything in his head. He knew Victoria was capable of protecting herself, and doing a lot more. He knew she was tough and smart. He knew Minho was fast and strong. He couldn't pinpoint Thomas's reason for running in other than stupidity and curiosity. And Alby? Well he couldn't help but think it was too late for him. No matter what qualities they had to offer in the maze, it didn't mean they would make it back.

Life in the Glade had been hell before Victoria arrived. Hence why he had his stupid limp and discouragement hidden behind his mask of hope and leadership. It didn't get any easier, ever. But Victoria was his thread of hope. His light at the end of the tunnel. His reason for fighting for his life.

He knew as soon as he jumped into the Box and set his eyes on the girl that she was different. Not because of her gender, but as a person. She stood out to him compared to every other shank that he'd watched arrive each month. He tried to will himself the strength to survive without her, if she didn't make it back. But he couldn't, and it killed him inside.

Every time he heard the sound of a Griever, he flinched, immediately assuming the worst. That it was tearing his friends apart limb by limb, without a single care in the world. And that would be the end of them. The end of Victoria. The end of Minho. The end of Alby. The end of Thomas.

C'mon Vic, he pleaded in his head. Please come back to me.

▃▃▃▃

"W-WHAT THE HELL?" Victoria whispered shakily at the sight in front of her where a girl stood. She wore some beige trousers and a long sleeved white top. Her clothes, her skin, everything about her was pristine. She clearly hadn't been hiding out in the maze or whatever reason Victoria could come to think of.

The girl's crystal blue eyes bored deeply into Victoria's, before scanning them down from head to toe. Her coal black hair sat perfectly across her shoulders and a shaky exhale escaped her parted lips.