( xi ) GREENIE

ONE MONTH

ONE MONTH. Victoria had officially been in the Glade for a whole month, which meant one thing — a new Greenie. That's what interrupted her of her work alongside Frypan, the alarm indicating that the Box was coming up. The sound was unfamiliar to her, since this time last month, it was her officially arriving.

"Time for your promotion, Vic," Frypan winked, immediately rushing out of the hut. Dropping the utensils in her hands, Victoria followed behind and one by one, each and every Glader was heading for the Box, like metal to a magnet.

Pushing her way through the boys, Victoria spotted Newt towards the front and stopped beside him. Looking down, the hole opened and everybody curiously tried to get a better look. Inside was a boy, cowering with confusion. His dark hair was stuck to his forehead due to the sweat his skin held.

Hopping into the Box, Gally crouched over the boy. "Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine," grabbing onto his shirt, the Builder hoisted him up and out of the box, his body slumping down onto the grass.

Victoria frowned as everybody laughed and gaped at him like something in a museum. The boy's eyes darted around frantically, becoming overwhelmed with the amount of attention on him, all from complete strangers. Scrambling onto his feet, he pushed past Zart and sprinted across the Glade.

"Aye, we've got a Runner!" The Track-Hoe exclaimed with amusement, all eyes simply watching him go. Victoria thought he was pretty fast, at first, before he stumbled over his own feet and collapsed to the ground. Everybody released roars of laughter, except the girl, who felt sorry for the Greenie.

Shaking her head, Victoria openly jogged over to the lost boy, reaching him just as he'd gotten back up. His wide eyes examined the enormous walls surrounding the Glade, completely oblivious as to where on earth he was, or who those people were. "Hey," Victoria greeted him gently, his body jumping at her presence. "Take no notice of them," She nodded behind to the crowd of boys.

"Where— Where am I?" He stuttered, unable to restrain himself from staring at the obvious. Before Victoria could answer, two boys had been instructed to escort the boy to the Pits and lock him up so he wouldn't run away again.

Folding her arms, Victoria blew the breath out of her cheeks, trying to comprehend the fact that she wasn't the newbie anymore. She was just one of them. A Glader. Feeling a pat on her shoulder, Frypan pulled her back to the Kitchen where they continued prepping dinner.

Victoria eventually spotted Alby showing the Greenie around, feeling relieved that he wasn't locked up for long. The poor shank was scared shitless and as soon as he had arrived, he was thrown into a cell. Yes, he tried to run away but Victoria would've approached the situation differently.

Leaving the food to simmer, she stepped out of the hut and sucked in a long breath of the cool air. Squinting her eyes, Victoria noticed someone heading straight for the open doors. The Greenie. "Shit," She cursed, running over as did Chuck.