( iv ) PANIC ATTACK

"HEY FRY," Victoria greeted the tall boy who was stood in the kitchen hut

"HEY FRY," Victoria greeted the tall boy who was stood in the kitchen hut. He turned around and brushed the crumbs off his hands, smiling kindly.

"Hey, Vic. You ready to cook?" Today, the girl had been assigned to helping Fry prepare lunch, and afterwards, she would accompany Gally and the builders.

"Sure am," She exhaled smoothly, her eyes scanning the equipment laid out across the wooden counters. "We're not doing anything too hard today, I've decided on vegetable soup and bread." Her stomach almost grumbled at his words, even though she had only just had breakfast.

"Sounds delicious," Her tongue swiped across her lip. Her first instruction was to chop the vegetables; onion, celery, carrots, green beans and some garlic. She completed the task without any issues and watched Frypan heat up the oil in the stock pot. When told, she tipped the vegetables and garlic into it whilst the boy stirred and made sure nothing was burning.

"So, has everyone been treating you well?" He asked without looking up whilst she proceeded to pour in the salt, garlic powder, thyme and oregano he had measured out already.

"Yeah, everybody I've spoken to has been fine with me. Then, of course, there's the ones who seem to enjoy the sight of me crouched in the gardens planting seeds," Victoria sighed heavily, recalling the eyes that were on her yesterday. "But it's okay, Newt sorted them out."

"Yeah?" Frypan smiled knowingly to himself, handing her the jug of broth.

"Yeah, he's very considerate." She added it to the mixture.

"Crack that can open, would ya?" Fry indicated to the can of tinned tomatoes. Nodding, Victoria approached it and picked it up, along with the rusty can opener. However, before she could actually use it, she paused and concentrated on the silver top. Noticing the metal slowly peel open, her eyes widened and she double checked nobody had seen her action.

Clearing her throat, she turned back to the cook and poured the sloppy tomatoes into the pot. After a final stir, he told her they had to leave it to simmer for a while, so she was excused for a break. Slipping the empty can out of the hut, she jogged to a faraway tree and plonked herself down against it.

Laying the can on the grass and rubbing her hands together, she briefly closed her eyes to tell herself — you can do this. Opening them again, she stared into the centre of the can, blocking everything around her out. She could hear the commotion replaying in her head of the men entering the room and grabbing onto her, forcing her to do as she was told.

Gritting her teeth, a throaty grunt passed through her lips, and just like in her dream, the can formed an abnormal shape. It was true. The visions, they were true. She could do things that nobody else could. And she didn't know if that was a good thing or not.