Chapter 8- Accepted or Denied

"Theresa, my wife and I would like to foster Hadley." Callie spoke clear and evenly.

Theresa was silent for a few seconds but to Arizona and Callie the seconds felt like an eternity.

"Can I ask you both a question?" Theresa said.

Callie froze afraid of what she might ask but somehow managed to mutter

"Of course."

"I'm sorry if I am out of line with my question, but is your goal to adopt Hadley?"

Arizona and Callie were shocked at her question. They hadn't even talked about it. Arizona had thought about it and Callie had too but they had never said anything to one another about it. But Callie felt Arizona squeeze her hand again. Callie looked into Arizona's eyes and only saw the love she had for this child. And she knew in that moment that that was their goal. Callie squeezed Arizona's hand back and saw a small tear trickle down Arizona's cheek. Arizona wiped her face with her other hand and turned to Theresa.

"Yes, we want to pursue adopting Hadley, but to be able to take her home we wanted to foster her first" Arizona said.

All Theresa did was smile.

"Due to the circumstances, I believe something can be arranged. I will need to talk to a judge and make sure you have all the proper paperwork filled out. Now, this is will only be temporary guardianship as Hadley will be considered an emergency placement. You will get weekly visits from a social worker to make sure the house meets all requirements and that Hadley's needs seem met. Do you understand?"

"Yes." Callie smiled

"I need to go make some calls, but if I come back today to bring you papers to sign can you have them ready by tomorrow?"

"Wait." Arizona spoke up.

"We were foster parents around two years ago. We tried adopting a little boy, but the adoption fell through when they found his family. We didn't renew our license when we hit the two-year mark, but we still have all our signed papers and documents." Arizona said handing Theresa the manila envelope.

Theresa looked through it for a few seconds.

"As long as a judge considers these valid and I can get your licenses renewed, Hadley should be yours sooner than later."

Theresa left and Callie and Arizona couldn't have been happier or more nervous. Step one was completed but now they need a judge to sympathize with them. They only hoped when they saw Theresa next that they had custody of their little girl.

It was 9 o'clock and both of their 12-hour shifts were over. Hadley had been asleep since 8 but both of them sat in her room waiting. It wasn't until 9:30 when they both heard a knock. Arizona was almost asleep in the chair and Callie had been reading something on her phone.

"Theresa. Hi." Callie said standing up.

"Hello." Theresa said back walking out into the hall to try and not wake Hadley up. Callie and Arizona followed closely behind.

"I was able to talk to a judge and call in a favor. Due to Hadley's current condition mixed with the fact that you were both foster parents already, I am happy to announce that you are now both foster parents and today you both have custody of Hadley Williams. The judge was also very sympathetic to your case. He said as soon as you both fill out the adoption forms he can try and expedite the adoption. She could fully be yours within the next month."

Arizona and Callie both had tears form in their eyes. Arizona leaned into Callie and rested her head on her shoulder and couldn't keep her magic smile off her face. Theresa had handed Callie the papers and smiled at the couple and made her way back towards the elevator.

"Calliope we did it." Arizona whispered as she cried into Callie's shoulder

"She's ours."

I know this chapter was shorter than the others but this just felt like the right place to stop. I have over 100 views. I cannot thank you guys enough! I never thought anyone would read what I wrote. Also if anyone has any ga story recommendations for me let me know as I just finished the book I was on. As always please comment, vote, and follow!

-me_you_and_the_world