Chapter Two: Stories

Bella wasn't joking when she said it was a long story. I asked her to start at the very beginning, so that's exactly what she did, beginning from when she left for Forks, Washington.

She told me about the Cullens, and how she came to realize they were all vampires. It appears that whatever Byron did to change her memories for a time truly worked, because seeing the Olympic coven did nothing to jog her memory of me, although I suppose by that point it wouldn't have really mattered; I trust Carlisle, so by extension, the rest of his family must be trustworthy.

I remember meeting Carlisle in my earliest years as a vampire, it couldn't have been more than five years after my changing. He was the one that gave me the suggestion of becoming a "vegetarian" vampire to avoid losing myself to the blood lust; he had caught me sneaking out of a hospital with about fifteen blood bags hidden in my purse.

After my changing I made a promise to myself that I would never take an innocent life, no matter what the pain was that it put me through. Over the years I slipped up several times; I broke into more hospitals for blood over the years than I care to admit, but I have never killed a human in my 89 years.

Bella also told me about how she fell in love with Edward, and later had a daughter, named Renesmee. Despite the fact that Renesmee is only eight years old, she looks as mature as her parents, and has intelligence that surpasses that of an average adult.

"But then how long does that make her lifespan?" I ask hesitantly, not wanting to bring up a touchy subject.

She explains to me though that although a half-vampire like Renesmee is rare, there are others like her out there. They managed to find someone that could vouch for Renesmee in time to stop a mass homicide, courtesy of the Volturi.

I can't help but interrupt Bella by laughing at that. She looks at me rather strangely, but is used to my strange moments of weirdness, so remains quiet and waits for me to explain myself.

"Ever since I was turned," I take a breath, trying to calm the giggles bubbling up my throat, "I have been evading the Volturi, and you manage to catch not just Aro's attention, but every single member of their guard. Not including the wives!" I burst into another fit of laughter, this time Bella joining along with me. "Only you could have that kind of terrible luck."

"Oh shut up." Bella grumbles, but she is still laughing with me and doesn't seem serious in the least.

When both of us have quieted down, I ask another one of the many questions I still have. "So what now? You know the Volturi won't leave you alone forever. Hell, it's a miracle they've left you alone this long." I would be getting antsy by this point.

"That's what we've all been thinking, though no one's said it out loud. There are so many people with gifts in our family; I don't understand what he's waiting for." Bella responds, beginning to pull at the fabric of a purple throw pillow on the couch, unknowingly in her worry.

I can almost feel the dread rolling off Bella in waves.

"How many of you have gifts?" I ask, going through a mental list of their names as well as how Bella had described them.

"I'm a mental shield." Bella starts, but I interrupt her almost immediately with a side comment.

"Bet that pissed Jane off, eh?" I chuckle. I can just imagine how annoying that would be for the Volturi's little psycho princess.

Bella nods, a smile on her lips again. "Wait, how do you know Jane? I thought you were avoiding the Volturi?"

"It's a long story." I wave her off. "Keep going?"