Chapter Four: Family

Alice's Point of View:

"They're almost here!" I exclaim, clapping my hands together and bouncing on the balls of my feet.

Bella was later than she said she would be, but because of my vision, we were expecting that. The whole family had gathered outside, Renesmee standing in front with Edward. It was obvious to anyone watching that being away from Bella for even a short time had taken a toll; they both have missed her terribly.

My announcement has caused everyone shift in anticipation, necks craned as if an extra half inch might allow them to glimpse Bella and her mysterious friend sooner. I lean back against Henry to stop myself from jumping up and down with excitement, and immediately his arms loop around my waist. With the way the future is planned now, I can tell that this new vampire and I will become friends, just like Bella and I.

"There." I whisper, though the others can hear it. Our heads all turn to the right, where Bella suddenly emerges. Her friend is not far behind, but hangs back as Edward and Renesmee greet Bella.

With the two of them standing next to each other, I can tell that Bella is slightly shorter, though the new vampire girl might just stand taller. She surveys each of us warily, looking torn between fleeing or beginning to speak. When her gaze lands on Carlisle though, her face lights up and any nervousness seems to disappear.

"Hello." Her voice is gentle, soft, yet it carries easily. "I'm Ember."

"Hi!" I reply back, grinning. I slip out of Henry's arms and close the distance between the two of us, pulling Ember into a hug. "I think we're going to become great friends."

She seems shocked at first, but quickly gets over it and wraps one arm around me in return. "You must be Alice then." she responds once she pulls away.

"I am." I nod, "Henry is the one with curly black hair." He nods to Ember.

I see her take in his appearance, committing the name to memory before I continue with introductions.

"Rosalie is the one over on the left." Rose gives a small wave, smiling gently.

"Ca-"

"So do you have a power then?" Emmett butts in, his face forming a lopsided grin. Rosalie not so discreetly elbows him in the stomach as Ember smiles.

"Subtleness is not your strong suit, huh?" she asks lightheartedly, but then takes a deep breath. Her expression becomes very focused, and within a split second she has transformed herself into a mirror image of Emmett.

"Bet I could beat you in a fight." she says, mimicking Emmett's careless attitude. She then reverses it in the same quick way, now appearing like the girl that originally came here.

Everyone laughs, and I can see Ember physically relax just a little bit more. Her shoulders are no longer as tense, and her lips hold a slight smile of amusement.

"That was Emmett." I continue, rolling my eyes at him but still smiling. "Renesmee and Edward are standing over by Bella," I point, and Ember's head turns to look at them.

"It's nice to meet you." Renesmee says politely, giving Ember a shy smile.

"You too." Ember's head tilts to the side slightly. "You have your mothers eyes; very beautiful." she compliments, making Renesmee blush.

Her perceptive gaze then shifts to Bella, and her whole demeanor changed again. The second the two of them meet eyes, both become tense, as if communicating through expression to each other.

I have a feeling that Ember is wondering when to mention their unwanted follower on the way here.

"Who was it?" Edward asks to an unspoken question. I must have been right in my assumption.

Ember doesn't seem shocked by this; Bella seems to have already warned her about all of our abilities, but still shifts uncomfortably under all of our stares.

"Later, Edward. We still have to finish introductions." I reprimand him, and continue. "Esme and Carlisle are the two standing by the front door."

Esme smiles warmly as Carlisle speaks up. "It's good to see you again, Ember. How have you been?"

"Very good, mainly thanks to you. I didn't realize how big your coven was when you told me of it." Ember says, referring to a time they must have crossed paths long ago.

"Yes, and still growing." Carlisle looks to Renesmee and Bella. "Though we welcome the new editions."

Edward begins to laugh. "Maybe you're the reason Bella had such restraint as a newborn. Even when you didn't know there was another way besides drinking human blood, you wouldn't drink it from the source." Edward smiles, reading the memory of Ember's first run in with Carlisle.

Ember nods her head. "I'm glad Carlisle caught me that day; hunting animals is much better than drinking musty blood from a bag." her nose wrinkles up at a memory.

I gently tap on Ember's shoulder and point to where Jasper is standing, next to Henry. "That's Jasper."

"Ma'am." he says politely, nodding his head, but his eyes show only shock.

I open my mouth to voice a question about Jasper's behavior, but then another vision creeps in, blinding me of sight and hearing momentarily. The vision almost shocks me into stumbling forward. It's a wedding.

At first I'm convinced it's Renesmee's, because the entire Cullen family is there, but then I spot her in the crowd, smiling happily. I receive another shock as I look up the aisle and see Jasper waiting there. I can see the nervous excitement in his eyes, and at the same time almost squeal; Jasper had found his mate?

I turn my head to look back down the aisle, eager to find who it could be, and am again shocked by the sight. Ember?

They must be soul mates. After so long, Jasper had finally found his!

When the vision leaves, Ember is attempting to guess what war Jasper fought in. She seems to have subconsciously moved closer to him, the bond they share, but are not yet aware of, drawing them together.

She stares at him intently for maybe half a minute, before making her guess. "Civil War?" she asks, sounding almost certain with her conclusion. As she speaks, her hand moves to her neck, placed gently on the chain of her necklace. It looks to be a calming gesture.

"Yes ma'am." Jasper responds, giving a half smile.

Ember then huffs jokingly and mutters under her breath, "Confederate," even though we can all hear her, and then smiles so Jasper knows she was kidding.

I look over to Edward, now holding Bella, and raise my eyebrows. I know he saw the vision I had of Ember and Jasper. "I like her!" I think gleefully, knowing Edward will hear me.

He nods in agreement, turning his head back to Ember, who is bickering with Emmett about nothing in particular. I'm glad Jasper will have someone now.