Chapter Six: Jasper

Jasper's Point of View

I don't know exactly what I had been thinking, following Ember. It's not what I had originally meant to do; I had been heading home after a hunt when I caught her scent leading the opposite direction. I keep telling myself that I just wanted to make sure she was alright, but I know that isn't the case. In all reality I just enjoy being around her.

There's something about her that draws me in. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it just feels better to be around her.  I have a feeling Alice, and by extension, Edward, know why because they've both been acting very strangely around me as of late. It's like they are in on some secret joke I wasn't told about.

Not paying much attention at all because of my preoccupied thoughts, I almost run headlong into Ember, who had been walking in the opposite direction as I.

"My apologies." I quickly say, glad she does not have the ability to read my mind. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"No, it's all right." Ember's musical voice answers. "I wasn't paying much attention either, just wandering around a bit."

I just nod, unsure of what to say.

"Well I won't keep you, if you were headed somewhere." she says, though her eyes don't meet mine.

"No, I was just wandering around as well." I respond.

"Do you," she hesitates slightly, "want to wander together then?"

I tap into my "ability", and can tell that she genuinely wants to walk with me, not just because she feels she has to ask.

"I would love to."

We set off at a slow pace, headed generally in the direction of the ocean.  It's quiet for awhile, the only sound coming from the leaves and packed dirt beneath our feet.

A glance at Ember's face shows me that she's warring with something inside, and seeing her open her mouth to speak and then shut it again quickly, I would guess it's a question.

"You can say it, whatever it is you're conflicted over saying." I say gently.

Suddenly I feel a flood of embarrassment from her. "I was just wondering."

I wait a moment, but it doesn't seem like she's going to finish her sentence.

"Wondering what?"

"What color were your eyes?" she blurts, then covers her mouth. "Sorry, you don't have to answer that."

I chuckle. "Is that why you were so nervous?"

Ember laughs along lightly. "Yeah I guess it was, yeah."

"Well they were brown," I glance over at her, "before I was turned.  What color were your eyes?"

"Brown." she says simply, but then elaborates. "Only not that dark, rich color." her brows are cinched together in concentration as she attempts to remember. "They were lighter, a strange color, almost like oakwood."

"Can I ask you a question now?"

A small giggle escapes her mouth before she nods. "Sure, go ahead."

"Hm, what's your favorite color?"

"Seriously, that's all you've got?" she jokes, sticking her tongue out. "I ask you a borderline creepy question and that's the best you can come up with. You're making me feel bad here."

"Well are you going to give me an answer?" I bump against her shoulder gently.

"Before I was turned, it used to be green. Now though, I think I like the color gold more."

"Like our eyes?"  A tingle runs through me as I say that, our, even though there's no real significance to it yet.  Wait, yet? This must have been what Alice had seen coming.

"Exactly.  I don't know, I guess it holds meaning for me instead of just thinking it's 'pretty'."  Ember had continued, unaware of my miniature epiphany.

"No, that makes sense. I understand what you mean."  

She smiles then, a real one that stretches all the way across her face. "I like talking to you." she states.

"Well I like talking to you too, ma'am."

"Why thank you, kind sir." she replies, mimicking my southern drawl almost perfectly.

By now we've reached the cliffs, a steep drop in front of us.  Ember's eyes grow large as she takes in the view.  

"I can see why you moved here. Small town, but wow is it gorgeous." she breathes.

"It's overcast too, which means we're almost always out. It's nice." I agree, staring out at the ocean with her. 

"Let's jump." Ember says out of the blue, looking at me with a smile. "It'll be fun, come on!"  She leans over the edge, almost to the point of tumbling right off before straightening again. "Please?"

Her hand grabs one of my own, and the decision is made. "Sure, why not."

Kicking off her jacket and shoes, she moves to stand with her feet half over the cliff face, holding her hand out to me again.

"On three?" I ask, taking hold of her outstretched palm.

Ember just nods in response, another goofy grin on her face that makes a smile appear on my own. 

"Three," I say slowly, "two," I feel Ember shift slightly next to me, "one!"

And then we're flying.

***

I was trying to channel a bit of awkwardness here, because I wanted it to feel like a real first conversation. {You know, awkward pauses, laughing, general embarassment.} Please tell me what you thought of it in the comments below!

To the side is what I pictured Ember's outfit  to look like. It kind of encompasses her style; she's not all that girly, but still fashion forward.