14.2| Royal Hospitality

Noct was not surprised to see the massive crowd gathered around the plaza when the four of them finally arrived, minutes later, at the Qioan Square.

    Many people were ambling around and minding their own businesses. A few others were chatting among themselves, sitting by the four fountains that marked each of the square's cardinal points. Rows of stands were situated nearby, selling various types of food to those who happened to be hungry as traces of their intoxicating smells wafted in the slight wind. There were also a few that sold trinkets and the like. From the corner of his vision, Noct noticed a group of people huddled together, staring in awe as a performing witch manipulated tendrils of fire in her hands for entertainment. She flicked her wrists, and they swirled overhead in twirling coils of heat that burst into countless red sparks. Fireworks, he thought. Cheers and laughter echoed, along with clinks of gold as the spectators tossed them at her feet. As Noct saw this, a sickening feeling rose in his gut.

    "There it is!" Jul suddenly cried in a loud voice. She pointed towards an elaborate-looking carriage that was stationed next to a lamppost at the other end of the square, a long stretch away from them. He nodded back to her.

    With the thief carrying the Snow Witch on his back, the three of them hastened their footsteps. Noct did his best not to lose sight of Jul and Yoko among the sea of people before them. His concern began to rise further and further when he noticed how Chell's body steadily continued to increase in temperature. He feared that if it would continue any longer, the little miss might burst into flames at any given second. He shook his head. Instead of thinking about those things, Noct decided to focus on the current task at hand. There was no point in useless thoughts.

    However, as they ran, the thief noticed something unnerving.

    A few people had taken sight of them. At first, Noct thought they would recognize the princess and bow their heads in respect or perhaps allow her some space. That was, after all, the normal reaction towards a person of royalty. However, the moment they had seen Jul and looked over at Yoko afterwards, their faces quickly morphed into expressions of annoyance and—-although it might have been just his mind playing tricks on the thief, perhaps-—distaste. A few glared at the princess in particular, whispering to the others in quick murmurs. Some scowled and moved away, but their actions were more out of wariness rather than respect.

    Noct felt himself frowning as he stared at Yoko's back. Why would a princess be unloved by her people?

    The answer to his question would have to come for later, he decided. Once they were close enough to the carriage, the coachman sitting at the front of the rig noticed them immediately and quickly sat up straight. Jul waved her hands in frantic gestures, signaling him in a series of confusing movements. It seemed to work, though, because the moment he saw her, the coachman nodded and stepped off. Hastily, he opened the carriage door just as the four of them finally reached it.

    "Dante, there's a serious problem. We need to get to the palace as quick as possible." Yoko commanded as Jul grabbed her hand and helped her step inside. The coachman nodded and replied quickly. "Of course, your highness!"

    Jul then turned around to face Noct, her bright emerald eyes laced with worry. "Take her in. Yoko doesn't like it when somebody sits next to her on the carriage, so I'll be sitting with Dante in the front. Now go!"

    Noct blinked, shifting uncomfrotably. "But-—"

    "Hurry!" she interrupted. The thief frowned for a moment but then decided to nod, seeing the look of resolve on her face. Taking extra care to position Chell in a comfortable state as much as he could, Noct leaned her head on the window as he let her in. She was still breathing unevenly, face slightly pained. Whatever illness was afflicting her, it seemed to be something that could not be taken lightly, seeing as how the Snow Witch did not even stir from her sleep after all of the commotion that had happened so far. Yoko helped her inside as well. When she was settled, Noct followed in after the witch.