16.2| Growing Unrest

--------

In another part of the kingdom, a serious problem was happening.

"This is bad... This is really really bad," Jul declared heavily over the table, her expression dark and serious as she stared at the plate that was laden before her. The bright atmosphere that surrounded them only a moment ago had vanished together with the proclamation of her words.

"I can't...," she whispered, "... I can't eat any more apple pies."

The moment she finished, Noct laughed quietly from the other side of the table, tilting his chair back. Beside Jul, Yoko had a glum look on her face.

"Then just stop eating already," the princess sighed in an exasperated tone. "I thought we were supposed to give them a tour of the kingdom."

"But we are!" Jul wiped her mouth. Her eyes were shining bright once more. "This is only the first stop. Right, Chell?"

Seated in front of her, the Snow Witch responded with a single blink. She had barely touched her own apple pie, no doubt still full from the previous banquet at the palace earlier. Noct could understand. Even he had trouble forcing himself to take a bite of the enticing dessert before him. Right after they had eaten breakfast, Jul had urged the other three into a carriage and asked them to be dropped off in front of an eatery, which even in the early morning was filled to the brim with townspeople. Apparently, Jul announced that they sold the best apple pies in the kingdom. The Crow Thief himself could testify to this after a single taste, though he considered it an absolute shame that he couldn't eat any more than he already had. It seemed ironic to think that only a few days ago, he was starving and yearning for any kind of edible food.

Jul stood up, slapping the table with a wide grin on her face. Then, she reached out and grabbed Chell's wrist, tugging her along. The witch flinched in surprise, eyes looking alarmed. Jul didn't seem to realize this. "Come on! There's a really cool shop I want to show you on the other side of the street. I'm sure you'll like it!"

Chell cast an almost panicked glance at Noct, who shrugged in return. Although he had sworn an oath to protect her from danger, but he had no idea how to deal with this kind of situation. As she was dragged away by Jul outside the opened doors, Yoko sighed in defeat, hanging her head. "I'm so sorry. As I'm very sure you already know, she's always like this."

Noct shook his head, smiling. "Nah, it's okay. As long as the little miss doesn't say it, I believe she's fine with this. I think."

The princess furrowed her brows, her eyes following the two witches who had already made it outside the eatery. Jul was relaying something with ecstatic hand gestures to Chell, whose expression was as blank as ever. To the thief who rarely saw her show emotions throughout their journey together, it almost looked funny to see her at a complete loss for what to do.

Yoko rose from her seat swiftly. "Let's go after them before they disappear."

He nodded in agreement and followed after her. When they got outside, the other two were already on the opposite side of the bustling street, Jul pointing at an item shop that portrayed various tools used for witchcraft. Potions, herbs, and catalysts were displayed from the front windows. Chell seemed reluctant to go inside.

The princess made her way to them, passing through the street. Those who noticed her presence and saw the gleaming chaplet that lay on her head moved to give way in respect, although there were few who cast displeased looks. Noct relatively decided to ignore what he saw. He tugged at his scarf, .

The thief and princess decided to position themselves outside the shop like guardsmen, waiting for Jul and Chell to finish and take their leave. Yoko gazed inside from the window as Noct leaned himself on the wooden post, unconsciously slipping into his habit of looking at the people passing by to. Like this, he could almost imagine that he was back in Uldard again, eager to search through a thick crowd to find any potential victims. The people more or less looked the same, and if he simply changed the lay of the surrounding buildings in his head, he could almost believe he was back in his home kingdom. But of course, things were different now. He had discarded his thieving and had decided to pursue the path of an honest person.