16.1| Growing Unrest

( 16 )

    He was a man who believed in both order and perfection.

    Ever since childhood, these two things had been deeply imparted into him by his mother, who he remembered as the person who raised him bitterly to become a proper monarch. By the time she had died of sickness when he was eleven, he had learned of the importance of those two things among the people. And in order to attain them, there was only one efficient way.

    Basil Agnis Castagne sought for power.

    Power, he realized, was what made a kingdom prosper. Power held the ability to control the people and instill fear. Power, in the hands of the competent, was a force to reckon. Even from long ago, it had already been an established rule among society. Those who were weak bent to the wills of the powerful. With a single command, he could decided the fate of a person. A single flick of his wrist could strike attention to his men. If he willed for order, they would yield. If he willed for perfection, they would oblige. For him, power meant having everything he envisioned become real.

    As the son of the king's only brother, Basil had been born with great power. Yet to him, it was not enough. When his uncle, the honorable king of Gisnell, reigned the kingdom, Basil had looked up to him power in awe. The king's authority, after all, was absolute. For many years, he had ruled over Gisnell. He did his best for the kingdom to prosper under his rule and in return, he was loved and respected by his people.

    Basil recounted the times when he was still young, where he would be allowed to enter the throne room while a heavy trial was being held in place before the king. As he remembered, his uncle's mere presence in a room had yoked fear. He recounted the regal look on his face, the air of intimidation he gave off by simply sitting on the throne. In the end, Basil watched in awe as he gave his verdict with a single word or a single nod. Once his decision had been passed, there would be no one to challenge it. Because of this, Basil greatly appreciated the importance of having power and idolized him. Oftentimes, he would even secretly wish that he had been born as his son instead.

    Yet, now, due to his age, the king's condition was stagnating. It was something that could not be stopped. Everyone in the palace knew that he was slowly dying. It was only a matter of time before the hands of death separated his soul from his shell. That meant that a successor would have to step up and inherit his power. For Basil however, who was only second in line, it was not him. Instead, it was his cousin and blood relative, the only daughter of the king and the heir to the throne, Yoko Agnis rex Castagne.

    Even though Basil held immense respect and honor for his uncle, he did not bear the same feelings towards his child. The reason was simple. He did not recognize her as his family, or even as someone who was directly related to the king. Contrary to Basil's calm and collected demeanor, Yoko was spoiled, childish, and shameful. No... there was more to it than that. Yoko and her tramp of a mother had been the ones who humiliated the royal name years ago. The reputation of their blood had staggered during that time, where the citizens began to frown on their lineage. And, as if to fan the fire, Yoko had decided to shelter the wretched witch who was the cause of everything, going so far as to allow her to roam freely, stealing around the kingdom and staining their name even further. Every time Basil was reminded of this fact, he had to resist the urge to smash the nearest object he could find. In due time, he reminded himself. In due time, you'll have the power you've always wanted. The strong were never supposed to show any weakness. He could not forget how they had shamed their family. He would never forgive them for what had happened. He would not allow that humiliation to happen again.

    Even under death, Basil could not accept her as the next Queen. It was madness, an atrocity. She did not deserve the crown. If there was anyone who did, then he knew that it was to him alone. And Basil was not the only who believed this. Most of the people in the kingdom agreed to his sentiments. Yoko was unfit to rule. However, it was not as if he could easily sway the king's choice. His will was absolute. Nothing could change his order. His uncle wanted Yoko to inherit his kingdom, not Basil. Because of this, no one could disagree openly, and anyone who did would be treated as a traitor and executed. However, that did not stop Basil from his yearning for power.