17.1| A Hidden Truth

( 17 )

She was dreaming of the past when of her mother had still been alive.

Jul Orben could never forget her gentle embrace and her warmth. The way the corners of her eyes crinkled when she smiled at her. The soft tone she used whenever she called out her name. The wonderful tricks of magic she used to show by her bedside before she slept, making her believe that her powers were a source of laughter and fun. She had been a witch, and Jul had gotten the same gift. Although her mother wasn't powerful enough to become a Titled, she took great pride in her daughter's abilities.

'You were born with The Blessing of the Wind, Jul', she used to tell her all the time. 'You will grow up more powerful than any witch in this kingdom. You are my pride and joy.'

Her mother had raised her to be carefree and happy, to not be bound by anything just like the wind itself. She showered Jul with love and affection, caring for her like any mother would to a child they loved. Her husband, Jul's father, had left them before their child was even born. It was the two of them together against everything else.

Until the day when she was killed.

Jul's dream shifted like sand in water, taking her away from those young memories of happiness. It was the third day after her mother had sacrificed her life to protect her. It was a lonely funeral where only few attended, fearful of the rumors that surrounded her mysterious death. She was twelve years old then, standing before her grave marker all alone and weeping in grief.

A hand grasped her own and Jul looked up to see a girl with a golden chaplet above her red hair. It was no one other than the princess of Ginsell and her closest friend, Yoko. Younger, but still her. A pained expression was on her face. The young witch looked away, but the princess pulled her forcefully into a tight hug. Jul couldn't free herself. She could feel her trembling body as she held back her unshed tears. They had both lost people who were important to them on the same day.

"I'm so sorry. It's... It's all my fault," Yoko whispered in her ear, trembling. "I'm so sorry Jul."

Jul closed her eyes slowly, failing to find the words to say anything.

"You can live in the palace from now on. I will protect you from anyone who wants to hurt you again. I'm so sorry. It's okay."

She opened her eyes, the scene dissipating. Yoko faded before her eyes. Jul had rewound back in time to the day where her mother had died. The frightening scene that greeted her was vividly real, as though she really had gone back. She was inside of her old house, hiding in a closet, trying not to cry out. The muffled sound of the rain outside helped to disguise her. From the gaps in the wood, she saw her mother on the floor, a knife protruding from her heart, her eyes glassy and unfocused. The woman who had killed her was still inside the room, face shadowed by the darkness. It was nighttime. She was looking for Jul, a brown cloak covering her shoulders, her ornate dress splattered with flecks of her mother's blood.

"Come out, little girl... You dare disobey me? I just want your heart now. Aren't you guilty of what happened to your poor mother?"

Jul whimpered silently, covering her mouth with both hands. She closed her eyes and prayed for everything to have been just a bad dream, a nightmare. She would wake up and see her mother beside her still alive. She would comfort her, tell her that everything was okay.

"Ah, here you are."

The cabinet door opened and a hand grabbed her hair, pulling her out. Jul cried out in pain, trembling from head to toe. She tried to pull herself away, but couldn't. The woman dragged her to the kitchen while ignoring her shrieks. She took out a knife from a wooden tray. The young witch struggled, begging for mercy, screaming for help to anyone who could hear. But it was in the middle of the night, and a heavy rain was over the kingdom. No one could hear her.