18.1| Sparking a Fire

( 18 )
N O C T

It was a dangerous situation she had placed herself in.

Noct knew she was treading a narrow path. The little miss had agreed to a promise he was certain would only cause both of them trouble. Yet despite his disapproval, Noct could do nothing after that silent exchange between them. He knew that look in her eyes—the very same determined gaze he had witnessed in the cell in Uldard not too long ago.

No matter what he said, Chell had made up her mind.

He was still in disbelief after listening to Yoko's story. He had always known that royalty was a business that staked lives and conflict, but it had always seemed like a completely different world from the one he had lived in. He'd long convinced himself that those with power and wealth were a different species to the common folk. Every time he'd see the king or the prince or a duke parading down the streets in Uldard, he had always felt sick at the sight of their frilly clothes, the extravagant reception, their polished smiles that seemed as painted as a porcelain doll's. Noct always thought they deserved whatever misfortune had befallen them within the hushed whispers of the streets.

However, with Yoko, it was different. Over the time that he had spent in the palace and conversed with the princess, he realized that there were exceptions to this belief. He expected her to be haughty, arrogant, and selfish. Yoko was none of those.

True, it might have been because she had different circumstances compared to the other monarchs, and that her people did not exactly treat her with respect. There were instances where Noct had even forgotten he was talking to someone of royal blood–if it weren't for the chaplet on her head to remind him of her status. Knowing the story behind her kingdom's past and seeing the fear in her eyes at the possibility of putting her dearest friend in danger made him realize that no amount of power or influence could strip a human of their vulnerabilities.

Still, it was too dangerous to become involved in a royal feud. All feuds usually involved blood, and that was something he would like to avoid after the recent experience they had just gone through. Besides, Noct and Chell were still wanted criminals in the neighboring kingdom and if someone were to recognize them, it would only further put them in more peril.

"Are you sure about this, little miss?"

He asked her quietly once they left. Walking down the corridor, Noct glanced at her profile and saw her usual blank expression. He wondered what could possibly be going through her mind right then.

"... Yes," she said.

Noct tugged at his scarf, tone turning serious. "We'll be in more danger. Preferably, I'd like to leave this place right now before the storm comes and the situation turns into hell. Don't you think so?"

She shook her head once.

"... I can't... I made a promise."

"A careless promise."

She said nothing. Their footsteps echoed quietly against the floor until they returned to their room. Slipping inside quietly, the Snow Witch headed for the satchel on the table and slung it over her shoulder. Then, she headed back to the doorway where Noct had remained standing. Before she could pass through, he had stepped in between and blocked her way.

The thief's face was full of puzzlement.

"Wait. Where are you going?"

The Snow Witch looked up at him with the same look of steeled resolve. "To Yoko.... I'll try to go look... for Jul."

The Crow Thief blinked a few times, unable to believe what he had just heard. For a few seconds, he merely stared at Chell's face, wondering if she had lost her mind. He shook his head, a shaky laugh leaving his lungs.