Chapter 3 - You Shouldn't Drive After Dark

"The police want to see you again? My goodness! Can't they leave a teenager in peace?" my gran complained fiddling with her cardigan. She was a small women who grew her gray hair out to her shoulders and dressed like an aged model. Somehow, even in her old age, she remained graceful. It's only when she had one of her 'episodes' when I remembered how old she really was.

"Tell me, what was your friend's name again?"

"Victoria Barely," I patiently answered. I knew she didn't forget on purpose or because she was a bad listener. It was just one of the symptoms of her condition that I feared was getting worse. The week before, when she was calling me to come help her with the groceries, she hesitated on my name. It was only a moment but I noticed it and it scared me. Soon, I would be the one taking care of her instead of the other way around. Not that it would be a chore but I'd hate to see my grandmother's memory fade. She was so intelligent, so wise. It would be a shame.

"Ah, that's right. The girl that was always smiling," she said with a chuckle "She was my favorite."

I stood there for a second before she hurried me off. "Take the car, Arielle. You'll get there faster."

I shook my head. "No, no. That's fine. I want to walk."

"But why? You hardly take the car out anymore and I only use it for my once a month reunions with my friends outside town. I feel bad about not using it," she said flipping through the pages of her book.

She was reading one of her favorite books: The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen. It was a truly sad tale. Unlike the Disney version, the mermaid did not get a happy ending. In fact, she died. She didn't win the love of the prince and turned into sea foam.

My stomach did a little flip and I was very grateful that she wasn't looking at me because then she would know something was wrong. Fidgeting with my hair, I started to back away towards the front door.

"It's just I don't know what time I'll be back and you know what they say: you shouldn't drive after dark." I didn't wait for a response as I practically ran out of the house.

Did anyone even say that? I mean, that's why headlights were invented!

Oh Arielle. You're an idiot.

Gripping the strap of my cross body handbag tight, I hurried down the street in a chaotic rhythm.

Hardly anyone was outside and it was quiet aside from the white noise that resulted from small town life. There was the engine of a vehicle, the chatting of coworkers, the end of summer breeze surfing through the air. It was the perfect conditions for getting lost in old memories. Lost in ones I'd rather had forgot.

The town was a quiet one. Hardly anything happened and when something did it took an emotional toll on everyone but oddly enough, the town wasn't very expressive. There would be meetings at the town hall about new policies and everyone seemed overwhelming neutral about everything. It was like everyone had a caged heart. It felt emotions, sang and chirped, but not enough to evoke any great change or influence.

I fit in perfectly.

If I had a dime for every single word I wanted to say but didn't, I would be on the Eiffel Tower with Victoria. I would tell her about what I almost did that day on the beach while we drank wine and ate cheese or did whatever they did in Paris.

She would have killed me if she found out I tried to kill myself. I knew that didn't make sense but that was Tori for you.

Why didn't I go to her about how I felt?

The questions swam in my head throughout the day. What if that very day, I went to Victoria's house and spoke to her about how I felt? She wouldn't have been on the beach or I could have helped her fight off her murderer. She would probably still be alive and maybe I would feel better.