Chapter Four

"The freak is here," said Sergeant Donovan as she pushed open the door to Lestrade's office. "He's on one again."

Lestrade stood up from behind his desk as Sherlock walked in.

"I was just about to call you," Lestrade began. "To see if you'd gotten anywhere with Mr Mentford's case."

"He has one living relative; is that right?" Sherlock sat down, clasping his hands together under his chin.

"He's got an elderly uncle..."

"In a coma. Two- no, three years."

"How did you know... Never mind." Lestrade sighed and sat on the edge of his desk. "What are you getting at, Sherlock?"

"I need access to his uncle. Five minutes, tops."

"Are you having a laugh? Of course not!"

"Why? It's not as if he'll notice I was there." Sherlock's compassion was lacking. Granted, meeting John had revealed a certain kindness he never knew existed in himself before. But there was still a long way to go.

"Sherlock, I cannot grant you a warrant to go snooping around a coma patient!"

"Fine."

"You're still going to do it, aren't you?" Lestrade rubbed his tired eyes.

Sherlock stood up; the perfect posture of his tall, slender frame commanded the room. He looked at Lestrade and huffed.

"I assume you haven't been able to find a source of the threatening texts?" Sherlock asked.

"No. Whoever sent them used some sort of blocker, and they must've known he got the police involved because the messages stopped the second we got the phone."

"You'll want to be at the museum tonight, about nine-ish. Bring a police car. Handcuffs. Oh and you might need a tazer."

Lestrade stood for a moment, processing Sherlock's words. He looked up from the ground to where he had been standing, but he was gone.

III

Margaux tapped her knuckles against the door and gently pushed it open. She peered her head inside to see Molly Hooper pressing her eye into the lens of a microscope, examining a dot of blood encased between two glass slides. Molly lifted her head, her eyes flickered to the doorway where Margaux stood.

"Oh, hello." Molly placed the slide down, "I'm so sorry, I'm terrible with names..."

"Margaux." She smiled and gave a gentle wave.

"Of course, sorry. Did you sort out the... body thing?" Molly asked awkwardly.

Margaux let out a quiet laugh, "I did," she said. "Clean water. Probably done in a bathtub."

"Blimey." Molly shuffled across to her computer.

"I just came in to... well... because Sherlock Holmes sent me. He said... Uh, well it's quite rude actually..."

"He wants me to stay here all night, doesn't he?"

Margaux nodded.

"What does he need?" Molly asked kindly.

"You don't mind?"

"Of course not."

"He needs you on standby to test some DNA samples."

"Right. Okay," said Molly with a nod and a smile.

She was under Sherlock's spell. It was obvious. And Margaux knew that feeling all too well. Margaux turned on her heels to leave the room, but stopped after a few steps.