Chapter Thirty

Mary lay back on the examination bed, letting out a small, slow exhale to calm her nerves. She turned her head to John who sat in a chair beside her. They exchanged an awkward smile; the kind of smile that happened between strangers passing in the street, not husband and wife as they waited in the ultrasound room.

The technician entered the room. She was fair skinned with pale lavender hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"Good morning! Have I got Mary Watson here?" she asked as she looked down at a folder in her hand.

"You do indeed," Mary replied chirpily.

"Brill. And is this the father?"

"Yes, this is my husband John."

John gave a polite wave.

"Lovely, okay, let's get started," said the technician as she pulled on her gloves.

Veins of silver and purple snaked up Mary's stomach like tree branches. Her bump was expanding rapidly and it was clear she had grown uncomfortably large. She flinched as the cold gel hit her skin, relaxing again as the transducer pressed into her stomach.

"So, everything was fine at the last scan?"

"Yes, everything was perfect. I just haven't felt any movement in a couple of days. They picked up a heartbeat but the midwife suggested an ultrasound too, just to make sure."

The room settled into silence as the warped thud of a heartbeat played through the monitor followed by the shadowed image of their baby.

"Okay so today's date: 8th October, you're 26 weeks, measurements are fine, strong heartbeat..." said the technician as she clicked away on the keyboard, recording every detail. "And oh, look at that, baby Watson just rolled over."

"Yep, I definitely felt that!" said Mary as she turned to John with relief.

He reached over and clasped her hand in his own. Was this progress? Mary wondered. She hoped so.

John's phone began to beep loudly.

"Sorry," he said as he pulled it from his pocket.

'Emergency. 17 Marylebone High Street. Come immediately. S.'

John shifted in his seat. "Erm..."

"Sherlock?"

"Yeah. I think he needs me. He said it's an emergency. But I can–"

"Go," she said with a genuine smile. "It's fine, honestly. You should go."

III

John rushed across the busy road with his hands in the pockets of his jacket. He hurried along the high street, following the numbers of each building until he reached 17. His brow furrowed as observed the name above the door before stepping inside and walking towards the back of the shop.

"What's the emergency?" he asked.

"Ah, John, excellent," replied Sherlock. "I need you to help me pick out a birthday card for Margaux."

John's concern turned to confusion, which quickly evolved into anger.

"You..." he gritted his teeth. "I left my pregnant wife in the middle of an ultrasound... to help you choose a birthday card?"

Sherlock looked down at John with a vacant expression. "Well it's rather overwhelming," he gestured to the rack of cards and began to read them. "'To an awesome person', 'To a great girl', 'my favourite colleague', 'for a wonderful friend', 'good friend', 'best friend', 'girlfriend', 'incredible girlfriend', 'beautiful girlfriend', 'one I love', 'fiancée', 'partner', 'wife'... It's quite ridiculous."

Glass - A Sherlock Fan FictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara