Chapter Twenty Two

Charles Augustus Magnussen was grey. Grey hair, grey suit, grey eyes, even his cheeks were ashen and hollow. He glanced at them through his thin, frameless spectacles as he stepped into the flat. Hands in pockets, calm and confident.

"I understood we were meeting at your office," said Sherlock.

Magnussen's henchman finished his body searches of the two men, stepping aside, allowing his boss to get a full look of the flat.

"This is my office," he replied, walking towards to the couch.

He turned to look at john:

JOHN HAMISH WATSON
AFGHANISTAN VETERAN (SEE FILE)
G.P (SEE FILE)
PORN PREFERENCE: NORMAL
FINANCES: 10% DEBT (SEE FILE)
STATUS UNIMPORTANT
PRESSURE POINT: > HARRY WATSON (SISTER) ALCOHOLIC
MARY MORSTAN (WIFE)

"Well, it is now," he continued before walking to the dining table, picking up a newspaper and returning to the couch to sit down.

"Mr Magnussen," Sherlock began. "I have been asked to intercede with you by Lady Elizabeth Smallwood on the matter of her husband's letters," he continued to speak, struggling to stay on point as his words were seemingly ignored. "Some time ago you... put pressure on her concerning those letters. She would like those letters back."

Magnussen looked up at him silently:

SHERLOCK HOLMES
CONSULTING DETECTIVE
PORN PREFERENCE: NORMAL
FINANCES: UNKNOWN
OFFICIALLY DECEASED 2011-2013
BROTHER: MYCROFT HOLMES
M.I.6 (SEE FILE)
SON: VAUGHAN CAVE

PRESSURE POINT:
MARGAUX CAVE (SEE FILE)
JIM MORIARTY (SEE FILE)
REDBEARD (SEE FILE)
HOUNDS OF THE BASKERVILLE
OPIUM
JOHN WATSON

Interesting.

"Obviously, the letters no longer have any practical use to you, so with that in mind..." Sherlock trailed off. What was he looking at? Magnussen snorted.

"Something I said?"

"No, no. I-I was reading." He adjusted his glasses. "There's rather a lot."

Sherlock's eyes narrowed.

"Redbeard."

Sherlock blinked, feeling the air leave his chest.

"Sorry... S-sorry. You were probably talking?"

"I..." He cleared his throat. "I was trying to explain that I've been asked to act on behalf of–"

"Bathroom?" Magnussen interrupted.

"Along from the kitchen, sir," his henchman nodded.

"Okay."

Sherlock could feel the tension building, starting at his finger tips and collecting in his clenched jaw. "I've been asked to negotiate the return of those letters," he said, more firmly. "I'm aware you do not make copies of sensitive documents..."

"Is it like the rest of the flat?" Magnussen gestured around the living room.

"Sir?" The henchman replied.

"The bathroom?"

"Er, yes, sir."

"Maybe not, then."

"Am I acceptable to you as an intermediary?" Sherlock pressed.

"Lady Elizabeth Smallwood. I like her."

John glanced between the two men, trying his best to supress a look of confusion.

"Mr Magnussen, am I acceptable to you as an intermediary?"