Chapter 35: Storm Within

It's been raining nonstop for the past few days. Pavements and walkways were wet. The campus was dotted with muddy poddles and multi colored umbrellas. Students run around campus, covering their heads and cursing the bad weather.

Almost every people I came across with was donning cardigans or sweaters. The weather was too cozy for studies, and students could be seen dozing on their seats.

But it didn't prevent teachers from giving large amount of lectures. Students run around campus, from building to building, finishing requirements.

Martes ng hapon nang dumerecho ako sa coffee shop. The rain's becoming heavier. Umbrellas weren't enough to keep anyone dry. I arrived with a wet shoulder and a damp hair.

Maureen handed me a mini towel at the locker room. Pinunasan ko agad ang aking sarili.

"Hindi ka dapat nagpapaka basa," sinabi niya. "Mahirap magkasakit."

"I'm waterproof," I joked.

Maureen made a face. "No one's exempted from this weather no matter how strong you are."

It was quite a hectic day at the coffee shop. The warmth of the roasting coffee beans and coziness of the shop attracted customers who wanted to take refuge from the rain.

Mag hahating gabi na nang magsara ang shop. Miss Van wasn't at the coffee shop today. Hindi din siya dumaaan. Maging kami ay nagtaka.

Maureen said she must be enjoying the weather in the comforts of her house. I was hoping it's as simple as that. She barely skips visiting the shop. If she did, it's always for a good reason.

--

The bad weather continued for several days. The campus was drearier than usual. I gripped my jacket tightly against my body as I walk through the nearly deserted pathway.

Pagpasok ko sa classroom, ilang estudyante lang ang nadatnan ko. When I ask my seatmate, she told me that classes were suspended for the day.

I wasn't so updated when it comes to things like this because I don't have someone to ask or to inform me about it.

Muli akong umuwi. The rain was heavier than usual. Nahirapan akong maghanap ng masasakyan. Almost all the remaining students on the campus were struggling to go home.

Dumating ako sa bahay na basang basa at inuubo. Nagpalit agad ako ng damit at piniling matulog bago ang shift ko sa coffee shop. My body felt heavy, and the occasion headache wasn't helping.

Hapon na noong magising ako. I woke up dazed and disoriented. Patuloy parin ang ulan sa labas. Tiningnan ko ang orasan. I'm nearly late for work.

Tumayo ako upang magpalit. But I immediately grip the bedside table as my vision swayed.

I check my temperature using the thermometer as the bathroom. It seems like I caught the fever Maureen was referring to me the other day.

Uminom ako ng ilang gamot bago pumasok sa coffee shop. Nadatnan ko si Miss Van sa dati niyang pwesto sa sulok ng shop. But her face lost its usual elegance I used to see from her everyday. Tila may bumabagabag sa kanya.

Because of the class suspension, mangilan ngilan lang ang customers sa shop. By afternoon, only a couple at a corner table remains as the heavy rain outside continues.

Naglilinis ako ng mga tables nang ipatawag ako ni Miss Van. Agad ko siyang pinuntahan. She's sitting at one of the booths on the corner of the shop. She looks restless.

"Yes, Miss Van?"

She motioned for me to sit. Nagtaka ako ngunit sumunod parin sa kanya. Moments passed and the only noise between us was the rain pelting against nearby windows.