2. Anisa

The room was cold. I didn't remember this place, the cold chill, the overbearing smell of too-clean anesthetic. It probably had white walls. My stomach turned.

There was a rhythmic beep resounding the room, and it mimicked my heart, a heart monitor. The only thing keeping me chained to this world, or supposedly. My life line.

When I thought I was awake, everything was black. I was confused for a moment before I breathed in that antiseptic smell and my stomach dropped as the memories flooded back.

I am blind.

My sight is gone, my heart jumped in my throat as my hands found my face. I felt my skin beneath the pads of my fingers, trailing up to my cheekbones. I felt the holey fabric of those stupid layered medical bandages.

My fingers slid back down and my whole body trembled. Everything was wrong. This could not be happening to me. I wanted to go home. Where are my parents?

My parents...

I remembered my mom's hysterical cry and it brought my head back to reality, the pulsing dull ache around my eyes radiating back to where I was. It stung, it hurt. I pushed the thought away.

I could blink and feel my eyelashes against the bandages as my hands slid along the blankets. My fingers rubbed the fabric of the surely white sheets before I felt a blanket. It was warm, a thermal blanket, most likely also white.

Pulling it up, it made the thin gown move against my legs. Of course. My clothes aren't here and moving my toes, I felt the warm fuzzy socks on them. I could feel the sunlight through the window on my skin and I covered the feeling with the blanket up to my chin.

This isn't happening.

I'm in a foreign room that I can't see and everything is black, fuzzy, my head is heavy and I want to go home.

I heard a click and my interest was peaked, but my heart jumped in my throat with the panic fleeing in my veins. Whoever must have heard my heartbeat get faster and she spoke.

"Miss [L/n]. Don't be alarmed. It's me, your doctor. You can call me Dr. Teague, or Anisa." The female spoke and I slowly let out a breath. This was scary. My hands were shaking.

Slowly, I pulled my blankets higher to my chin. I was chained to this hospital bed by the medical stickers on my vitals and my heart wasn't calming anytime soon. It fluttered, screaming that there was someone new in the room.

"I know this is probably scary. I know I'd be just as jumpy as you." She laughed. It was a warm sound and I felt the bed dip slightly as she sat down by me. I let out a sigh.

"I'm blind." I spoke the only thing I could think of, and felt humiliated. Humiliation. I couldn't see this warm doctor by me and I wanted it all to stop.

"Yes, you are." She confirmed my fears. I didn't even know I wanted her to say I wasn't. This was some sick joke, right?

...Right?

"Only temporarily. You got in an accident. You'll be just fine, however it'll be a while. Maybe months."

A breath escaped me and I almost sobbed in relief. It wouldn't be like this forever. I'd be able to see my mom again, and my pets and my home.

"How long do I have to stay here?" I finally asked.

"Until your sight returns, I'm afraid."

I frowned. For a while. That was an empty, hollow feeling, right in my chest.

"It's going to be okay." She spoke and I felt a cool hand on my forehead, stroking down, and I turned my head in the direction of her voice.

"We'll be well acquainted by the time you leave." She said with a small laugh. I couldn't help but smile, just a little. She was warm, like my mom. She had to be a mom herself.

"Feeling hungry?" She asked, and I couldn't respond before my own stomach did. It growled and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"I'll go get you lunch."

-

I didn't know how much time had passed before I heard the arguing outside my room. It was a male's voice, significantly younger and the familiar Anisa's. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I did hear my door click, and I sat up a little.

"Anisa?"

"Holy shit." That definitely wasn't Anisa.