15. Elysian

I didn't know what time it was when I woke up; all I knew was his scent enveloped me and my senses were soothed. His shirt beneath my cheek was warm and soft, and I could feel a weight over my shoulder blades.

He was holding me.

He was still holding me from the night before and I knew where I wanted to be the rest of my life.

My face buried down in his chest and I wanted to stay there, but his shifting made me nearly whine in protest. My leg still ached and I gently gripped his shirt in my fingers.

His breathing was even and oh so quiet, so gentle. It was like a nice contented sound that I didn't know I needed to hear.

"Shit... Sorry." He mumbled as his hand moved on my back, making those small circles that made my body writhe in utter happiness, but the feeling was ephemeral as he slowly moved up to sit, pulling my body from the warm cocoon of blankets.

"Why did you do that? I was comfortable," I complained in a soft tone, making that mellifluous chuckle leave his lips again. My heart jumped and fluttered.

"Because, [F/n], we have things to do today."

"What? Stay in bed while you drink my juice boxes and listen to me complain?"

I could hear the smile in his tone while he replied.

"No ma'am, you're leaving the bed today."

The absurdity of the statement made me giggle a bit. What was I going to do? Crawl?

"Now don't laugh." He chided, making my smile grow as he gently rubbed my back. "I'm gonna go for a bit, but I promise as soon as I'm back, we'll go somewhere. You need fresh air."

I couldn't disagree with him. Being held up in this place was making me crazy. I latched onto the first person who gave me attention.

He slid out the bed and I missed the feeling of his serendipitous skin on mine, his body heat warming my own and the warmth slowly vanished from me. He was molten lava and I was a frost bite.

I heard him leave and I was left with the surrogate comfort of barely warm blankets as the nurses came in minutes later.

"Good morning, [F/n]," Anisa's voice greeted and I tilted my head up to give her my attention as I was absolutely solus. I knew if Owen was here, I'd probably not be able to give her my attention.

"Open. Pain medicine." I shook my head. I didn't need it if I had Owen.

"What is it?"

"Tramadol."

I paused. Did Owen tell them to stop giving me the Oxycontin?

I didn't question it and opened my mouth, allowing her to dump the distasteful contents in my mouth. I swallowed with minor gagging and took the water, allowing her to leave the juice box on the nightstand.

"I see you're getting quite comfortable with Owen..." Where was this going?

"I am." I spoke warily as I sipped the cold water, before putting the cup on the nightstand with minor patting.

"Are you sure that's what's best for you right now?"

I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know what was best for me right now. I couldn't see to know, for Christ's sake.

"Ma'am?" I managed to put all my attitude in that single word. Frankly, I was tired of her stepping in. I understood she was looking out for me but I just wanted to explore. If it hurt me, then so be it. I got hurt.