3. Silken Voice

"Holy shit."

That was a male's voice. My pulse picked up slightly in alarm and I heard Anisa's heels once again, coming closer.

The door must have been nearby because I could smell something. Cologne. It was slightly minty, light, not overbearing. It reminded me of the month March, the color of light green.

"Holy shit." The words fell from whoever's lips mellifluously, my heart opened in warmth. It was deep, but it wasn't gruff. It was young. It was new.

"This is the girl?" I heard. Me? They had to be talking about me. I was the only other girl in the room.

Their voices hushed and my brows furrowed. This was all confusing. My head still pounded and I definitely was being medicated, because the feeling in my chest quickly faded. I sighed and laid back, knowing they were talking about me.

Only, I didn't know the they. I knew Anisa. It was like all my control had been ripped away with my eyesight. I didn't control my life anymore.

That was a sad thought. It hurt. My chest was empty and so was my heart. I wanted my mom, but I couldn't even see her. I didn't even know where she was.

This situation was eating me inside and out. I couldn't remember even how I got here. My memory was foggy. Probably the medication.

"[F/n]..." Finally, there was a familiar voice. Anisa. I turned my head in her direction, or at least the direction of her voice.

"He startled you, didn't he?" That was an understatement. I thought he was about to murder me.

"Yeah, a little." A small, breathy laugh fell out my lips as I sat up again, using the help of the metal bars I felt around for attached to the bed, cool and sleek beneath my fingers.

"This is my son, Owen." That's who he was. I nodded meekly, folding my hands in my lap. I suddenly felt self conscious. This was a male in my room, and I had no control over it. I couldn't see him, but he could see me in this stupid hospital gown, ratted hair and tear stains probably down my face.

"Nice to meet you." I spoke, and when I got silence in response, my heart dropped and I wanted to melt away.

"Nice to meet you too." He finally said and I offered a half smile, the clicking of Anisa's heels making me relieved to have a distraction from him.

"Owen, out," Anisa's sharp words almost made me flinch and I realized I was right. She was a mother. She had children, or a child. Warm, and chilled. That's what she could be. A true mom.

I heard the door click twice, open and shut. He had left, or so I thought until she spoke.

"I was serious. Get out." He hadn't left, and my heart nearly faltered upon itself. That's how easy it was to deceive me now.

I could almost see the mischievous smile in his voice as he spoke.

"I bet she believed I left."

He was right. He had me fooled. Her words got harder.

"Owen, this isn't a game. Please. I have things to do. Go do your homework."

It was then I had an epiphany. I had no sense of time. I had no sense of looks, all I was relying on now were my other senses. Hearing, touch, taste and smell.

The door clicked twice again, and I paid attention to the time between the clicks, imagining someone leave through the door throughout.

"Is he gone?" I felt like a kid, asking if a monster was gone from beneath my bed. That's how vulnerable I was.

"Yeah, he left this time. Ready to eat?" She asked, and my stomach growled in reply. She had to feed me, and I tasted a waffle and some bacon. It was plain, not very flavorful, but it was filling. Hospital food.

I really felt like a kid as she put an extra juicebox on my nightstand when she left.

"Is there anything else you need?" She asked and I shook my head, not wanting to bother her any further. I already knew I was a hassle. This was going to suck.

"I'll turn the light out so no doctors bother you, okay?" She asked and I nodded again, laying back down and carefully turning on my side. The beeping of my monitor was aggravating me already and I requested she turn it down before she left.

Finally, in silence, I turned over. It was dark, everything black, and I didn't know what time it was.

I'd probably be able to sleep at any time now. I sort of wished I had music to listen to but I couldn't see if my phone was here or not, and I wouldn't be able to see to control it.

I sighed internally and curled up beneath the foreign blanket and uncomfortable bed. I wanted to go home.

I shut my eyes, not that I needed to, but out of habit and attempted to get some sleep with my full stomach, but it was then when the door clicked and creaked open again.

Did Anisa forget something?

"Mom is always on my case..." It was soft grumbling and I heard the light switch on but couldn't really see or feel it.

He must have saw me laying down and breathed the words out, "Sleeping on the job? Come on, it's Sunday. It must get boring in here. Want me to read you the Sunday funnies?" I heard his smile.

"You don't even know my name." I said in a terse tone and sat up, smiling a bit. He was already becoming contagious with that smooth voice of his.

I suddenly felt a pillow behind my back and the bed moved beneath me, setting me in a leaned back, but sitting up position.

Cool, slightly calloused fingertips slid down my arm suddenly and I got chills, the finger looping under the plastic hospital bracelet, turning it to find my name.

"[F/n]." He said in a teasing tone. "Now how about those comic strips?"