Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"

"That's obscene!" King Garrand yelled. "There's no justification for this at all!" He stepped forward and took Pina by the arm. "These are citizens of the Empire too. By the Void, you can't–"

"The Empire has no citizens, King Garrand," Karion said menacingly. "It has only subjects. Now, if you do not unhand my officer I will have you arrested for assaulting one of the Emperor's representatives. You know what that will mean for you."

Pina was suddenly aware that two stormtroopers had advanced to his side, their heavy blasters aimed at the King.

Queen Myr's hand took her husband gently by the shoulder and the rage in him died. He took a breath and backed away.

"You have no authority to arrest me on my homeworld," he replied. "Even us ex-members of the Senate have some power left to us and as one of the Elder Houses I–"

"Power?" Karion repeated with amusement. "Very soon, King Garrand, you and all your like will perceive what that word actually means. In a few short hours, the Emperor's grand design will be unveiled to the galaxy."

"What have you done Admiral?" the old ruler asked.

"A second Death Star," Karion answered. "Already operational."

Pina couldn't hide his shock. He was aware of Queen Myr's gasp and the younger lady's dismay. He somehow perceived the physical pain the words caused the old king.

"Is that true?" Pina muttered unthinkingly. "A second one?"

Karion gave him a look of near disdain and he realised he had spoken inappropriately.

"Indeed it is, Captain Pina. No doubt many of you have heard rumours of a secret Imperial project. This is it. When the rebel fleet is destroyed over Endor, its existence will be broadcast across the Empire. And this time, there will no alliance left to oppose us. We will have stability. We will have peace."

Silence fell. Pina saw the devastation on the faces of the dignitaries. Even Governor Mazier was in shock.

"Now that you perceive the new reality, you have no choice but to comply," Karion continued. "The refugees must be taught to obey. To respect our laws. To serve as an example for others who contemplate insurrection. Now Captain Pina, please carry out that order. Ten thousand, if you please."

Pina couldn't move. His mind and soul and heart were locked in a battle of doubt. He couldn't obey such an order.

"Are you unwilling to obey my orders, Captain Pina?"

Karion spoke quietly, and Pina found that more threatening than any outburst.

"N-no sir. I just . . . if we have a second Death Star that is as capable as the first, then it seems to me that ten thousand executions on Farsalt demeans our power." He saw Karion's curiosity grow. "It might appear vindictive, sir. Such a paltry sum in comparison to what we can really do–"

"Nonetheless Captain, it is a demonstration of our will, not our capability. Proceed, if you please."

Pina nodded. He didn't know why, but he knew it was an unconscious decision to allow him time to think. To find a way of preventing such a crime.

"Admiral Karion!"

The young lady stepped forward. Pina felt her presence in a strange way, in a manner that he had never felt before. Her face was determined. She stared into Karion's artificial eyes with an intensity that forced the admiral to turn his head away. Pina had never known him to do that.