Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.

The Lady Jish pitched forward, collapsing to her knees in a shriek of hatred. The wookie infant in her arms began to cry.

And the chant of "Freedom!" from the refugees died.

To be replaced by the chant of "Death!"

The thousands of refugees hastened forward. Clubs and sharp poles appeared in their hands. Pina even thought he saw the shape of a blaster in one or two as well.

"Call in a lander," he instructed the technician. "Prepare to evacuate out."

"Belay that order!" Karion shouted. "We are not running Captain Pina." He motioned to the technician. "Call in the TIEs. Then we will see how bold they are."

"Lady Jish. King Garrand, you must leave," Pina urged, pointing to the waiting speeders. "This is not your battle."

He touched Jish's shoulder and received an enraged look.

"Damn you!" she shouted into his face. "Damn you all!"

Queen Myr took her and dragged her toward the speeder. Only Mazier remained.

"Sir!" the technician's voice was worried. "We're being jammed. I cannot make any broadcasts."

The first blaster bolt raced from the second floor of the gatehouse and struck a stormtrooper in the right shoulder. He fell with a faint grunt and didn't move again.

"Return fire!" Karion yelled.

The nine remaining stormtroopers from the firing squad, now facing the surging refugees, aimed their blasters and opened up. Streams of red smashed into the foremost aliens. Dozens fell to the relentless fire. Yet still they came on.

Karion ordered the remaining stormtroopers to form up in two lines. He pointed into the ranks of the enemy.

And died.

A single bolt, fired from behind, passed between his shoulder blades and out through his front. Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward. The admiral's corpse fell face down into the earth.

Pina spun.

Governor Mazier faced him, a small blaster in his right hand. The technician reached for his own weapon, but Mazier was quicker. A single shot took the trooper in the chest. He spun sideways with a cry, dead.

Then it was Pina's turn. He saw Mazier's eyes fall on him. He saw the blaster rise, and even as he pulled his own gun from his holster in a clumsy awkwardness he knew he wouldn't be quick enough.

"Wait!" he screamed.

A searing heat and red flash blinded him as a blaster bolt passed over his left shoulder, a hand's width away from his cheek. Mazier was not so lucky. The bolt hit him full in the face with enough force that his head disintegrated in an instant. The Governor's corpse staggered and fell, headless and lifeless, the blaster still in his hand. It discharged once into the ground as his nerves tensed the trigger.

Pina was aware of three stormtroopers around him. He didn't know which one had saved his life, but he didn't have time to find out.

With both Karion and the technician dead, they were vulnerable.

And he was now in command, blind in his left eye.

The refugees came on. Thousands strong. Blaster bolts went both ways now. Stormtroopers fell with alarming frequency. And when an enemy fell, always there were more behind, to take up his blaster and continue the fight.

Captain Pina felt afraid. He drew his own blaster and took a deep breath.

=================

If you enjoyed this latest instalment, then please vote for this chapter and leave a comment in the feedback section below.

Captain Pina now finds himself forced into conflict not of his intent or design, and in a very dangerous situation too. The question is, even if you are a good man, when you are forced to fight for your life, how ruthless will you have to be?