Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."

The Nova dived, cutting a pale white shadow that was reminiscent of a ghost in deep fog as it descended toward the dried riverbed far below.

Ella ignored the pressing walls of the canyon as they closed in on either side, becoming narrower and narrower as they descended.

Salpantor made a nervous growl.

"I know what I'm doing . . ." Ella whispered, both her hands on the steering column to give her maximum control.

In her mind's eye she pictured the canyon ahead. She recalled its numerous twists and turns, of how a seemingly dead end could suddenly reveal itself to be a way through a cliff face, of the immense caverns that were probably big enough to park a whole Star Destroyer inside.

There were opportunities here. So long as she was bold enough.

So long as she was skilled enough too.

A green blast overtook them and vaporised the cliff face on their right, but it was further away than the previous fighter's attempts.

"They're as terrified as I am!" Chip muttered. "And I have an emotional inhibitor too."

"Maybe you would like to fly?" Ella snapped.

"I can't. My cerebral enhancements slow my reaction times. I would fly us into a cliff face without thinking."

"What do you do then? Can you aim an outrigged gun turret?"

"Absolutely not!" Chip protested. "My enhancements prevent me from directly taking life."

"You don't fight, you don't fly! What do you do?"

"I think!" Chip pointed out.

Ella found herself emitting a low growl of anger. Salpantor gave her an askew glance that somehow communicated an approval.

"Well if you have any ideas I'd be welcome to them," she said quietly as the bottom of the canyon revealed itself, swathed in misty vapours and in a permanent twilight.

Ella pulled the Nova out of its steep dive and increased the speed. She had biked out this way dozens of times, often taking a wicked joy in venturing to the more dangerous areas of the canyons and confounding her palace pursuers.

It was only Jish who had ever been able to keep up with her.

"May I suggest you fly close to the ground?" Chip said, pulling her thoughts back to the present. "It should confuse the TIEs sensors."

"Close to the ground? I think we can do that . . ."

Ella guided the Nova in at high speed and in low visibility. Rocks and outcroppings would emerge through the mists with no more than a few seconds warning, and often the Nova's own sensors were hindered by the uneven ground and its soft moist composition.

She was flying more by memory than by sight and sensor.

Ella reduced the altitude until they were no more than a dozen feet above the featureless surface.

"I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ." Chip murmured.

A new alarm bleeped to life from Salpantor's side. The wookie gave an angry growl.

"Hal's got the turret operational," Chip said. "Turn the speakers on."

Salpantor flicked a switch and gave Chip several snarls that were far from friendly.

"I know he's one of them, I know," the cyborg said. "But he was tortured under Sarn's orders. It's hardly likely he's going to shoot us down is it?"