Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."

The man marched down the steps. He drew the red blade across a panel beside him as he descended. The power of the weapon terrified Ella. A molten streak of yellow was left wherever it touched.

"Yes," the man murmured as he reached the floor. "You fear it. You imagine what such a thing could do to weak flesh. It is right that you should be afraid."

Ella readied her electrostaff. It 'snapped' to life as she extended it to its full length. Without taking her eyes off the man, she increased the staff's output to full power.

"This is a dangerous weapon too," she said horsely. "At this setting, it could even be fatal."

The man advanced.

"Please!" Ella yelled. "Don't come any closer."

Ella backed away, discreetly casting a look toward the office where Lance had made his call. There was no sign of him.

Surely, he hadn't abandoned her? Not after all they had been through! No, he was out there, hiding, waiting for a better moment. That had to be it. Perhaps, if she could distract her enemy, Lance might be able to retrieve Alain's blaster?

Ella let him come on.

"Who are you?" she asked, angling her staff up in readiness, unsure if it would even resist a lightsaber's heat.

"I am Assayer Mahon. Apprentice to Titus Perdition. We shall suffer no more pretenders."

The figure struck, so quick Ella reacted instinctively.

The red blade swept across her front, missing her face by no more than an inch. Mahon advanced and brought the lightsaber back, this time aiming to strike at her middle.

Her electrostaff spun to meet it.

'Zap!'

A flash erupted as the weapons connected. An electric arc ran along the staff's edge. Ella felt the static build.

Mahon brought his blade down this time, striking toward her shoulder.

Again, her staff met it. Again, the brilliant flash and the electric spark.

But her weapon resisted the lightsaber.

They were locked in a test of strength. Mahon growled beneath the mask, both hands on his lightsaber, forcing Ella to her knees.

"You have skill," he said. "Perhaps you are touched by the Force. But let us see how strongly so!"

Mahon gave a sudden push with his blade and then struck again, hammering her staff, beating down on her as her knees gave. Once, twice, three times and more he hacked at her with sheer brute force. Sparks flew over her head, the flash as the blade cracked down on the staff blinded her.

Ella lashed out with her foot, driving into Mahon's knee.

It connected with a satisfying crunch.

As he staggered, she jumped to her left, spun the staff, and brought its end toward Mahon's ribs.

But the Assayer was fast. He twisted awkwardly and the point impaled only empty space.

The burning red blade descended again, level with Ella's neck.

She leapt back, her feet dancing to keep her upright.

Mahon's free hand shot out, his open palm facing her.

He growled in exertion and pushed toward her.

"Ah!"

Ella was knocked backward, the surprise of the invisible blow causing her to trip. She fell and rolled as Mahon leaped forward, slashing at her, cutting deep scars in the hangar floor that instantly became glowing rivulets of molten metal, always only a second behind her, driving her back.