Chapter 3-4

Exactly two months and 5 days after the last of the Sky Army recruits had reached the Benja capital, Nad'ij, the combined armies of the Pack and the Sky Army begin the march north-east to the large ford near the place where the Nicene River splits into three smaller rivers. They march in straight lines, their chainmail loaded into the large carts that trail along behind them, their swords belted to their waists. Trumpeters have their horns on a strap that goes around their back and they march towards the front of their army lines, a little behind the Generals who lead the armies.

Having left early morning, they reach the fording place at sunset and camp the night before crossing the river as soon as the sun rises the next day. As soon as they reform in their lines on the Squid side of the river, it's all business.

"We'll start moving north until we reach this river here," General Mitchell says, kneeling next to a large map spread out on the ground, his finger resting on a river that runs deep into the Squid's territory. "Then we'll head east, move back to the north in a wide sweep and then move to the Captial. That way, we'll cart out as many Squids of the villages as possible before we have to engage in battle."

"We'll have to take a detour to hit the area around this large village here," Adam says, pointing to a village near the north of the territory. "It's a major fishing port, there'll be lots of Squid warriors there."

"Since when were you wearing sunglasses?" Vikk asks, noting the black items that hid Adam's brown eyes.

He grins slightly. "I used to wear them all the time when I was General. The Squids recognise me better."

"And that's a good thing?"

The Sky Army General shrugs, but the smile on his face suggests that it is. "I'm gonna need to borrow some horns from all of you guys if that's alright."

"For what?"

"You'll see."

Jerome groans and rolls his eyes. "You know, you're really starting to annoy me with this whole mysterious gig you've got going on."

"Get used to it Jerome," Adam says simply. "I'm not going to easily give away my secrets."

The large masses of warriors begin the march again, once more heading north. Before long, smaller villages appear on the horizon around them. When several can be faintly seen from the marching lines, Adam turns to several people walking behind him. The golden swords of the Sky Army are at their hips and they each hold a horn from each of the armies: roughly two from each. At a nod from Adam, they raise them to their lips and begin to blow.

Mitch jumps and spins around as the trumpeters begin the tune. It's more like a song than the chant that his trumpeters would make and he feels his blood churning and racing through his veins as he hears it. The different horns from the different armies each make a different note and the notes of the song that they create rise and fall in the air.

"You like it?" Adam asks, noting Mitch's wondering expression.

"How can I not?" he asks. "It makes my war song seem bland."

"This is our assembling song, not our war song," Adam says, "although the two are similar."

In one of the small villages, the notes of the Sky Army's song drift faintly in the air. It is unhearable over the loud banging of the blacksmith's hammer on the anvil and the roaring of the bellows. The blacksmith, bent over his work, has just immersed the hot iron horseshoe into the large trough of water when his wife runs into the shop, her face flushed.

"Honey, come, come!" she says rapidly.

Confused as his wife is usually not a very excitable woman, the blacksmith leaves his work and walks outside of the hot air of the smithy. Now that the roar of the fire is muted, he can hear the song. He stands taller, his shoulders going back as memories flood his mind.

"It's the Army," he says quietly. "Lillian, get the boys to load up the swords on the cart. We're leaving."

The wife embraces her husband tightly, unmindful of the soot that instantly latches onto her clothes and she runs off, calling the working boys. Within minutes, the strong wooden cart is loaded with dozens of long times wrapped in oilcloth with a large drop sheet over the top. The blacksmith and his wife get up on the front of the cart to drive the large horse that pulls it along with three of the work boys walking alongside it, each feeling less like an apprentice blacksmith and more like a warrior of the fierce Sky Army.

As they near the last building on the single main street in the small village, a Squid warrior stops them, asking to see the load that they have covered. The blacksmith is well aware that there is no reason for a loaded blacksmith's cart to be leaving the village at this time, but if the Squids see the golden swords that they have wrapped up in the back, they're sure to not make it out alive. Before he can make a decision, however, a thundering of hooves suddenly becomes apparent and a group of around 50 warriors on horseback charge into the village, killing the surprised Squid warrior easily. In the few seconds it takes to pass them, the blacksmith's wife notes that while most of the warriors have silver steel swords, some have golden yellow ones.

The blacksmith holds the reins tight, calming his startled horse as part of the warriors form a loose ring around his cart while the others spread out through the village, their swords drawn but held low in a non-threatening gesture.

"Good day blacksmith," a warrior with a deep blue hoodie says cheerfully. "You look like you're off to join an army."

The blacksmith can't help but smile. "I was a smithy for the Sky Army back in the day," he says. "I've got swords ready for use in the back."

General Robert grins. "Whelp, just head out of this village here and turn towards the large train of warriors. You can't miss it."

"Thank you, sir," the blacksmith says, gathering up the reins. But before he can urge the horse forward, one of the apprentices says "Sir, why are your warriors in our village?"

"Don't worry, we're not here to hurt any civilians," Robert reassures. "We're chasing the Squids out of here. And then we'll herd them out of the next village. And the one after that."

And so it went. For a full month, the Pack and the Sky Army move through the Squid's territory, entering village after village. Tiny groups ranging from one person to ten join the armies, each receiving a new golden sword with a bright purple gem in the crosspiece. They go through Cyfarfod on the river, forcing all the Squids out of the village. General Mitchell orders for minimal deaths to occur, although occasionally a Squid warrior would be found lying on the ground in a pool of blood. As Adam remarked, "Accidents do happen after all".

Within the next week, the train of armies near River's End village. Jerome and Preston take 100 warriors ahead to make their way into the village before the main army is visible on the horizon. Preston narrows his eyes as they near the walled village, the smell of fish growing stronger as they canter closer. He can't see the telltale flash of sunlight on metal from the Squid warriors who prowl the tops of the walls and he can't hear the faint calls of markers selling their wares.

"It seems too quiet," he says to Jerome.

Jerome hums in agreement, his right hand moving to rest on the handle of his axe. "I'm getting a bad feeling about this."

As they near the wall of the village and finally move through the gate in a walk, the reason for the silence becomes apparent. The entire village - women, men, children and Squid warriors - have all disappeared, leaving only a few animals who have broken out of their pens roaming the streets.

If any of you know an author called LittleWolf65 and you've read her book 'System Failure', I'd suggest checking it out. And if you haven't read System Failure, GO AND READ IT, IT'S SO FREAKING GOOD.

I feel like I can't say that now.

Don't forget to vote and comment where you think all the River End villagers have disappeared to.