Chapter 4-2

"Adam, we can't ask your army to do this," Mitch says quietly as the three walk away from the Squid General Azubi and towards their escort of Benja warriors.

"We don't have much of a choice," Adam says. "You heard what he said, it's non-negotiable." His eyes are fixed on the ground in front of him as the Benja warriors reform around the three. "I'll talk to the recruits about it. They'll make the choice."

The Generals do not talk anymore until they reach the lines of the Pack and the other Generals. Before they can ask what happened, Adam moves past them to go to his army which stands in a huddle towards the middle of the lines. Lachlan watches him go, noting his body language.

"I'm guessing it didn't go too well," he says quietly to Mitch and Robert.

"The Squids want the entire Sky Army to be turned over in return for the civilians," Robert informs. "He also wants us to leave him alone, but that's the easy half of the deal."

"So he gains a lot and we gain a little," Seto mutters.

Preston crosses his arms and stares at the Capital walls as if he can make them collapse simply by glaring at them. "We'll raise the stakes for them," he says firmly. "We can add stuff to the deal, right?"

Mitch nods. "But handing over the Sky Army is non-negotiable."

"What if we made them swear to disband their army?" Jerome suggests.

"They're never going to agree to that," Vikk says. "How about we just make them stay in the Capital? Keep them contained?"

While the Generals debate over the treaty, Adam moves his way through the Benja army and then through the Sky Army, who part before him. They all become serious as they see his bowed head and slumped shoulders and silence spreads throughout the 400 or so recruits. A few wagons are parked in what is not quite the middle of the gathering of Sky Army recruits and Adam climbs on one so that he can be seen by all of them, the Amulet at his neck swinging slightly.

"The Squids have made a deal with us," he starts, his voice loud enough to be heard by most of the army but not loud enough to carry to the Benjas who enclose them. "They are willing to hand over the civilians unharmed as long as they are not attacked again, and as long as we all turn ourselves over in exchange."

A low murmur spreads through the army that settles quickly as they see that their General has more to say. Adam takes a deep breath, his eyes scanning the slightly worried and scared faces of his recruits.

"If the Squids think that even one of us hasn't been turned over, they'll kill everyone." He pauses, turning around a little to see those behind him. "You know what they'll do to us. It's what they've done to our friends whom they've captured in the past. You know what they'll want, and what they're willing to do to get it."

Silence is the response to this and it is almost defending. The buzz and chatter of the surrounding Benja army seems faint and distant as the news sinks in.

"This isn't a decision that I can make on behalf of the Army, nor is it the Commanders'," Adam says. "It's something that has to be decided by each one of us. The Squids have given us an hour to think of our answer."

Feeling as if he has said enough, Adam moves to get down from the wagon when a recruit standing somewhere in the middle ranks of the army calls out "And what about you, General? What is your choice?"

"I'm going," Adam says without thinking. "I don't want people to die on my account-" He stops himself before he said 'again'. He ducks his head down and drops from the wagon, heading back towards the front of the army. The Amulet feels heavy around his neck as the army parts way for him again, still silent.

The Generals are still in deep conversation when he moves his way into their circle. They stop their talking as they notice him and he puts his hands in his pockets, choosing to look behind him at the whispering Sky Army than at their sympathetic faces.

"I told them the deal," the Sky Army General said quietly. "They'll decide."

"Adam, do you know what the Squids might do to you?" Mitch asks gently. "You said back when we were planning this whole thing that the Squids have tortured your warriors before and killed them. And with what General Azubi said about doing with you what he pleases, I'm pretty sure he has that in mind."

"I know that," Adam says firmly, an edge coming into his tone. "And my recruits know it too. But if it's between the death of 400 or the death of two thousand, there's no contest."

As the Squid's deadline creeps closer and the Capital gates begin to open again, the entire Sky Army moves through the Benjas to join the Generals out the front of the armies. Adam looks over his army, his heart filling with pride and sorrow. Pride that his recruits have decided to put others at the cost of themselves. Sorrow at realising that many of them may not survive.

"Good luck," Lachlan murmurs, patting Adam on the shoulder before he and the other Generals step back.

General Mitchell, General Robert, General Adam and the Sky Army make their way out onto the plain before the Capital to meet the Squid General Azubi. Adam walks in the front rank of his army while Mitch and Robert walk before them, not glancing back at the silent mass that follows. The two sides meet and the Army stops several steps back while Mitch and Robert talk to General Azubi.

"General Mitchell, General Robert," the Squid General says. "I see you have agreed to my proposal. And I am assuming that they are all unarmed."

"Of course they are unarmed," Robert says. "And we have made a few amendments to your deal."

"And what may these amendments be?" General Azubi asks cooly.

"We will hand over the entire Sky Army and not attack your Capital or your warriors again," Robert says, "as long as you hand over every citizen unharmed, you bring every single one of your warriors to the Capital and that you remain there and never try to retake your former territory."

"You mean my current territory," General Azubi says between clenched teeth.

Mitch shakes his head. "With your entire army tucked away inside the Capital, your territory becomes open to invasion. At the agreement of the deal, your territory will instantly become the property of the Pack."

"And to ensure that neither side will try to gain an advantage, the citizens of your former territory must be let out at the same time that the Sky Army goes in," Robert adds.

General Azubi narrows his eyes as he considers this, and his eyes flick between the two Generals and the gathered Sky Army, although the fact that he doesn't see Adam goes unnoticed. During the discussion of the treaty, Adam had faded a few ranks deep into the Sky Army so that he was hidden from both the Squid General and from any sentries on the Capital wall. Here, he takes off the Amulet from around his neck, holding it tightly in his right hand, feeling the familiar weight. He watches as General Azubi's narrowed eyes wander over the gathered army, his heart leaden.

"I agree to your terms," the General says, a cold smile coming onto his face.

Mitch keeps his face blank as he nods, although he is rather surprised that the General agreed with barely any arguments. The three Generals shake hands and at a nod from his General, one of the Squid Commanders raises a green flag high in the air. It flutters in the breeze for a moment before an answering flag flies from the tops of the Capital walls.

The Squid delegation begin the walk back as the gates of the Capital slowly open. The Sky Army follows after them after a moment's hesitation. Mitch feels himself being bumped several times as the recruits crowd around him and Robert, making the two of them practically invisible from anyone who is watching. Mitch feels a cold and heavy object pressed into his left palm and the quiet voice of Adam whispers near him.

"No matter what happens, do not let the Squids get this."

Mitch's hand tightens around the circular object and he puts his hand into his jumper pocket, still holding onto it as the rest of the Sky Army passes around him, heading towards the Capital.

Nothing suspicious about the Sky Army, is there?

Don't forget to vote!