Chapter 17: The Battle of the Archangels

Samael and Michael had clashed. Michael tried to stab his golden spear into the adversary, but Samael swiftly avoided his attacks and adroitly swung his scythe to hit Michael himself. The proud grin hadn't left his face since the start of the battle. This mocking smile irritated Michael even more, and he made many mistakes. The people elatedly watched the show, and were a little fearful - what would happen if the demon prevailed? However, Linda was more confident - she held her hands together and was generating her light energy, giving Michael more strength. Lily had no such stamina to help Samael, so she was getting more and more worried. But Samael didn't surrender - he swung his scythe around, trying to hit the enemy. Michael was regaining his lost strength with Linda's help, so he didn't seem to tire out either. 

Suddenly Samael unfolded his black torn wings, rushed up to the ceiling, swung his scythe, and sent powerful black current towards Michael. Michael raised his spear and created a golden shield. The people gasped - the light archangel barely made it in time! If he had reacted a little slower, he would get hit. Samael grinned and accelerated his speed, appearing in multiple places at the same time, and shot Michael with black energy rays. Michael hit his spear to the ground and raised some current of light rays which collided with the dark rays and caused explosions. However, no one got hurt.

The battle of archangels was really fierce. No one could predict the outcome. Lily nervously contemplated Samael's movements, but she was astonished at the same time - the demon flew and swirled around, swinging his black scythe, as if he were not in a battle but in a dance hall. He seemed to rather enjoy this battle and no fear could be seen on his countenance - he held himself calm. He was not worried, neither scared, nor bored. Actually, Lily rarely saw him having fun, and right now, he seemed pretty amused.

So he gets amused when he's in battles and wars... she couldn't understand why this man wasn't afraid to get hurt... Didn't he fear he might die? But there she gasped - die?! Wasn't Samael actually the angel of death itself? So, he knows no fear because he can't die! Only now she realised she was protected by the death itself. Michael, on the other hand, seemed pretty nervous. As the angel of life, it is natural for him to be nervous. He can actually die - dissipate in his light... But he can also regenerate and revive himself. Both are so powerful...

Samael swirled around and caused the black current hit from all sides. Michael couldn't spot the current coming at him from the behind and got blasted. He fell off, greatly weakened. He coughed and looked up at Samael, who was proudly grinning:

"You admit defeat?"

"Not... yet..." Michael leaned onto his spear and barely stood up. 

"Michael!" he heard Linda's concerned cry from the behind.

"Linda..."

"Michael, I shall gift you my remaining strength. Let's do the ultimate transformation. We can still pulverize him".

Michael nodded, clenching his fists. Linda smiled and began accumulating light energy.

"What do they intend to do?" Lily asked with concern.

"I wonder. They can't scare me though," Samael clutched his black scythe.

The people eagerly watched the show.

"What's the ultimate transformation?" Mrs. Black asked her husband.

Robert Black wanted to give her a reply when suddenly light energy emerged from Linda and surrounded Michael, making him shine brightly, and when that brilliance subsided, the transformed angel appeared - Michael was covered in solid golden armour, wore a golden helmet, and his hair had turned all white, dropping down his spine, but the most astonishing and dazzling were still his eyes - they glowed blue, and were divine and angelic... However, the most frightening for Lily was still another thing - this new form of Michael had not just two, but six giant white wings and his spear had turned deadly! Seeing such a transformation, all the people gasped in shock, and slight distress appeared on Samael's countenance - so he went that far...

"Ah!" Lily cried out with worry, "He took his supreme form, Samael!"

Samael squinted and clutched his black scythe:

"I'll still make it!"

He dashed at Michael again, but the celestial angel, who had completely regained his force and even gotten more of it, didn't budge. He just swung his spear once and instantly huge light current emerged, hit Samael, and blew him off.

"Samael!" Lily grew worried.

"Archangel Michael is truly divine..." the people began to whisper amongst themselves.

"Ah, Linda's so powerful! She has made Michael achieve his supreme form!" Mrs. Black was proud of her daughter.

"Yes! That's my girl!" Robert Black was no less happy.

Samael fell to the floor but frowned and sprung up, bellowed, and dashed at his adversary again. This time, he accelerated his speed and reached Michael before he would make his blow. He swung his scythe and hit it right on Michael's chest, but oh, my, it didn't even cut through the solid golden armour! He gasped in shock, but while he was confused, Michael stabbed his spear right into his chest. He shrieked in his infernal voice and fell off, black blood pouring off him.

"Samael!" Lily yelled in agony - he was hurt!

Michael glanced down at him with his strict blue glowing eyes:

"Do you forfeit, snake?"

Samael gnashed his teeth. He tried to stand but collapsed to the ground.

"Samael!" Lily got stressed - he was in no shape to battle anymore! He lost...

"You lost," Michael declared in a strict tone.

Samael sneered and glanced at Lily. His eyes grew sorrowful when he spotted shimmering tears on her cheeks. He puckered and turned back to Michael. Just then, he noticed a very interesting detail - where he had hit Michael on his armour, there was a little scratch. He widened eyes - so that was the case... He sprung up with all the power he had left, bellowed, and swung his scythe. The people gasped - he had still left the strength to fight?

"Ah!" Michael cried in pain as Samael had scratched him on the cheek. "You will pay, demon!" he swung his spear and blew Samael off. This latter hit the floor again and coughed.

"Samael, please, forfeit the match! Don't injure yourself so much! I... I can live with it! Please just stop getting hurt!" tears poured down Lily's cheeks.

Hearing her gracious words, Samael sighed with sorrow and struggled to stand. He managed.

"He can still stand?!" Linda was astonished.

"Still not giving up, eh? What do you hope for? You cannot pierce through my armour, you know it," Michael raised an eyebrow.

Samael coughed, but then a devilish grin covered his face as he looked into his brother's glowing blue eyes:

"I know I can't pierce through it, so I'll use a trick my fellow demons taught me down in hell... Archangel Michael, I place my judgment upon you - infernal torture".

"Huh? What are you talking about? Infernal flames can't hurt me".

"I'll use no flames. All I need to make you suffer is your own blood which my scythe has already touched..." Samael grinned and showed him his black scythe, the tip of which was reddened from Michael's blood it had received by marking a cut on his cheek.

"Wh... What do you intend to do?" Michael frowned, smelling a rat in this news.

"Wait and see, my dear brother," Samael's eyes flashed demonically as he was about to begin executing his vicious plan.