Chapter 35: The Archdemoness

"Hurrah! You won!" Lily cuddled with Samael. "But don't you think you overdid it?" she glanced at Evy, who took damaged Loriel out of the ring. "I kind of feel sorry for Lo".

"She must learn not to mess with ones stronger than her. The earlier she learns, the better," Samael shrugged. "Well, who should we fight now?"

"I have no idea".

The anchorman's announcement sounded:

"And now, the battle you all have been waiting for: the current winner, Lily Black, against her final opponent - one of our lecturers who volunteered to fight - Demonologist Maximilian Richelieu!"

The people whooped and clapped. Lily widened eyes - she was going to fight her most beloved lecturer?!

"Eh? What a weird name..." Samael frowned. He had never attended Lily's classes of demonology so he didn't know about her professor. "Demonologists are a pain".

"He's my favourite professor. I'm not sure how I can fight him".

"Well, if you want to become a champion, we must beat his ass," Samael shrugged. "It is your choice - either you prioritize the victory or the love of your lecturer".

"Don't mock me, Sammy! Professor Richelieu was the only one who accepted me regardless of my dark aura!"

"Well then, let's beat his ass mildly?" 

Samael laughed. Lily chuckled too:

"Sure!"

As they were talking, the opponent walked out on the ring - the tall man with black wavy hair, sparkling green eyes, glasses, and a faint smile - Professor Maximilian Richelieu. Once Samael caught his sight, his fists clenched by instinct, and he furrowed his brow:

"I don't like this man".

"Hello, Mr. Richelieu!" 

Lily waved at him. Maximilian returned a respectful smile:

"Greetings, Lily. I wanted to test out your strength so I volunteered for the battle. I hope your angel will be strong enough to beat me".

Samael raised an eyebrow - who did he think he was? There was surely no angel stronger than him and Michael. How could this loser's angel beat him?

This is rather fishy - this guy's self-confidence is sincere.

Samael restrained from disclosing his opinions to Lily just yet. He didn't like rushing things. It would be better to wait and see where this was going, and take measures only when the situation turned graver as he expected. But one thing was certain - this guy was either a total fool or something very dangerous.

"Well then, let's begin!" the anchorman cried. 

Samael stood in his battle pose and readied his scythe. 

"Mr. Richelieu, we're waiting for your angel!" 

The anchorman watched the demonologist in surprise - why wasn't he unleashing his angel? The people too, seemed equally astonished.

"In an instant". 

Maximilian adjusted his glasses. Instead of drawing a cross sign, he put a hand into his pocket and took out a small rectangular paper. Lily and the people got confused - what was he doing? Samael too raised an eyebrow - what on earth was that? 

As Maximilian grabbed the paper with his fingers, took it close to his face, and hid the vile smile behind it, Samael finally managed to see it clearly. It was a card, but not just any normal one. It was the queen of spades from the upper part and the queen of hearts from the lower one. Samael trembled as he realised its meaning.

"Rise, my lady".

Upon Richelieu's incantation, a red-and-black light emerged from the card and spread all over the hall. Samael's eyes widened. He yelled as fast and loud as he could:

"Raphael, teleport the crowd out!"

His younger brother Raphael, who was still in the hall after his defeat, activated a light shield and took the astonished crowd away with his teleportation. The hall got empty.

"Huh? What's the meaning of this, Sammy?" 

Lily was confused. She couldn't be separated from Samael with the means of teleportation because he was her guardian, so Raphael didn't take her. Samael, distressed that she was forced to fall behind, yelled:

"Incubus!"

He hit his scythe to the floor. Black smoke emerged, and Incubus appeared in his boyish form:

"Why did you call me?"

"Protect your mother! No time for questions!"

Incubus started, for he couldn't understand why his fearless father was so worried. But when he caught a glimpse of the red-and-black light emerged from the card of a strange tall guy, he gasped in dread. He dashed at astonished Lily, turned into his basic demon form, and covered her with his blood-red bat wings.

"Wh... What's wrong?" Lily was confused.

"Be careful!" Incubus shouted.

A blast emerged and spread red-and-black smokes. When they aerated, a tall black woman appeared, with long red hair and shimmering yellow eyes, wearing a red-and-black torn dress. She unfolded red demonic wings. She held a large fractal sword as if a slicer. Behind her, Maximilian stood with a smirk. The woman grinned at Samael, who watched her in horror.

"Who... Who is she?" Lily whispered to Incubus.

"Shh!"

"Hello, dear brother".

The woman addressed Samael with a seductive voice. Lily gasped:

"She said what?!"

The woman caught a glimpse of her and chuckled:

"So you have indeed got your little wife back, eh? Interesting..."

Catching her vile gaze, shudders ran down Lily's spine. Samael, on his part, uttered only a single word:

"Layla..."