Chapter 21: The Wrath of Samael

Seeing his father's wrathful red eyes, Incubus shuddered and sweated:

"I... I didn't mean..."

"Didn't mean what, disobeying me?! I ordered you to stay put in hell and not interfere in this affair. Who do you think you are disobeying the Lord of the Underworld?!"

Lily, who was angry a moment ago, now got seized by fear as she watched this crazy demon yell at full force at the poor little guy whom now she pitied.

Good thing these walls don't emit sounds or else everyone would have run up here already...

"I... I am sorry! I just wanted to see mom..." tears gushed from dreaded Incubus' eyes. He didn't even know what awaited him now, after enraging his demonic father so much.

"No more excuses, I'm sick of it!" Samael yelled again, now even stricter, and swung his scythe.

"Ah!" Incubus shrieked in pain and fell to his knees, feeling pain on his bleeding shoulder.

"Oh, my!" Lily covered her mouth with hands, now getting truly distressed - he cut his own son!

Samael sensed her fear and glanced back at her with cold eyes, freezing her on the place:

"Why did you call me? Let me guess - this brat told you something stupid?"

"He's your son! How can you hurt him?"

"He'll take it..." Samael rolled eyes. Then he glanced down at Incubus who was quietly sobbing: "Quit shedding your crocodile tears, I'm not buying it. Get back to hell, right now! You're grounded!"

Incubus sniffed, wiped off his tears, and slowly got up. His bleeding shoulder still hurt.

"What's wrong with me missing my mother?!"

Lily's heart grew heavy from such a pitiful view of the little boy. She pressed hands to her chest:

He's so cute... 

She could no more perceive him as a demonic monster of people's worst nightmares, but a lovely little child who needed protection from his abusive father.

"You dare object to my decisions, you worthless demon?! I see you loosened your tongue too much since you haven't received my punishment for long enough!" Samael swung his scythe again. The frightened boy closed eyes but then felt that the deadly scythe hadn't hit him. Instead, something had shaded him... He reopened his eyes in surprise, to see Lily stand in between him and his wrathful father with her fists clenched. Samael halted his scythe in mid-air: "What do you think you're doing?"

"Don't you dare touch him?!"

"You dare interfere with my judgment?!"

"This boy is not only your child. He is mine too. He told me Lilith was his mother. Since Lilith is my soul, I am Lilith, and thus, I perceive this boy as my kin. I won't let you hurt him, Angel of the Abyss".

Incubus gasped - so she really did accept him as her kin?! Just a few moments ago she considered this whole idea crazy, but now, seeing him in danger, she stood up against his father to protect him. Standing up against Samael was the same as standing up against death! His remembrances came back, bringing him tears:

She is truly mom's incarnation...

"You still don't get it, do you?" Samael gained back his calm and cold tone, "We angels never make mistakes. Our word is always truthful and always absolute. You want him to turn into a wretch? Every time he defies my orders, he makes a mistake. Making a mistake affects demons even worse than humans - they get blighted by the black energy in an instant. If I don't hurt him with my scythe and don't punish him, thus don't purify him, he'll give in to the Black Energy completely, and turn into a pure demon, without any high sense. He shall fall below the bestial level. You want your 'son' to suffer eternal damnation?"

Lily widened eyes in dread - did this fate really threaten Incubus, or was it that Samael wanted to have everything under his control? But no, angels could never lie. All he said was pure truth...

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that..."

"I am sorry Lily. Lord Samael's right - I only caused you pain with my arrival..." Incubus made black smoke appear around him. He was ready to travel back to the underworld.

"No, wait, I have something to ask you both!"

"Huh?"

"I... I want to know the full story of Lilith... the whole truth. I need to know my story!"

The young men exchanged surprised glances. After some moments of silence, Samael sighed and turned back to her:

"Alright, I shall tell you".

Lily brightened. Incubus shyly smiled, made the black smoke disappear, and glanced at his father:

"May... May I stay too?"

"Yes. There are some things you too should tell her if she wants the complete story, since you too, were in it".

Incubus brightened with heavenly happiness. Lily giggled seeing his sparkling eyes. They all sat on Lily's bed, and Samael began narrating...