1

"CALDER! CALDER!" I SCREAMED as I jolted up from the bed. Two sets of arms grasped onto mine and tried to hold me back down and hush me.

My eyes darted around the room which appeared to be the palace's infirmary. Beds were lined with my injured staff and some holding sheet-covered bodies.

What's happening? How did I get here?

On one side the healer grasped me as Eeira assisted on the other. I tried to jerk free of them, my mind feeling dazed and Calder's powers tingling at my fingertips.

"Where's Calder? Where's Calder? Where is he?" I asked them frantically.

"It's alright Eerika, calm down," Eeira said.

"Sylvi took him! She took him! Did you get him back? Tell me you got him back!"

There was a pause and exchanged glance between Eeira and the healer before he spoke.

"I'm going to give her a sedative."

"What? No! No! I don't want to sleep, I have to find Calder!"

I watched the healer bring a long needled syringe over to the bed, making my heart speed up. "No! Please! No!"

A large sting hit my arm as it went in, and the two laid me back down.

"I don't. . .I don't wanna'. . .I. . ." my voice mumbled, trying to get the words out that my mind screamed for me to say.

"Just let go, Eerika," Eeira spoke softly, stroking my hair.

I didn't know wether she meant the drug or Calder as I fell into darkness.

For who knew how long after that first sedative I was in and out of consciousness

For who knew how long after that first sedative I was in and out of consciousness. When I was out, I would dream about Calder. Most of the time we were laying down in a snowy meadow, kissing in each other's arms.

I was wearing a flowing plum colored dress of tulle, and he was in his white buttoned shirt, midnight blue cloak, and black pants. His fingers would tangle in my hair and his lips kissed my bare shoulders. His voice would whisper in my ear that he loved me though he had never said it in real life.

Other times when I dreamed it was of Calder being there with me. He was at my bedside and holding my hand, telling me to be strong. It was as if I could feel him, a ghost next to me. That was all he seemed to be now. A ghost in my memories because part of me knew he wasn't there. Eeira would have given me the answer I wanted if he had been.

At one point of consciousness I heard a whispered conversation between Eeira and the healer by the infirmary door.

"She's been asking for him in her sleep," he told Eeira. I knew he was talking about Calder.

"She can ask for him all she wishes. I will not allow that man anywhere near this palace again. He made his own grave to lie in," she said.

"All of the sedation her body is receiving isn't good," informed the healer. "You cannot keep her like this."