25

A/N: Another song suggestion! Listen to Slip Away by Ruelle (I REALLY like Ruelle, y'all) during Calder and Eerika's scene. These songs will all be part of the playlist at the end of the book :)

 These songs will all be part of the playlist at the end of the book :)

"I NEED TO SEE him."

"Please, try not to speak too much, My Queen," the healer said as he prodded my neck with feathery fingers. "Your vocal cords are swollen. They will need time to heal."

He pressed into one of the tender marks Calder had left, making me wince from where I sat on the infirmary bed. I glanced over at Thorne who's face was of pure fury, body stiff with his crossed arms.

"I have to see him, Thorne," I repeated in my rasping voice.

"Not a hell of a chance," he rebuked. "That bastard burned the only document we have that was even an ounce close to helping defeat Sylvi, and then he tried to kill you! When I told you not to wake me unless someone was about to die, I didn't mean for it to nearly happen! He's in the dungeon where he belongs."

"That wasn't Calder. He was being controlled. He didn't do this to me by choice. I saw it in his eyes. He was trying to fight back the darkness before you intervened."

"Controlled? Now I definitely know you're being crazy."

"It's Sylvi. I know it. Calder hasn't been the same since he returned. It hasn't just been because of his trauma. She did something to him that gives her control over his mind. That's why he's been hearing her voice in his head telling him to kill me and everyone else."

Thorne's eyes widened, and he leaned his head forward in my direction. "Um, I'm sorry, what?"

"I didn't tell you because I knew you would overreact."

"Overreact? If I had known that I wouldn't have let you within an inch of him, Eerika! And I'm certainly not letting you near him now. He'll stay in isolation as long as I allow it, and the Clan will say the same."

"You can't defy me Thorne, not on this," I spat back, making me cough slightly. I recomposed myself and threw eyed daggars at him. "I am the queen. I will go see him and not you, not the Clan, nor even death itself can prevent me. If I see fit for him to be released, he will be, do you understand?"

Thorne parted his mouth to respond but quickly closed it and turned his face away. The right choice to make.

"Move your neck in a circular motion for me please, dear," the healer instructed, and I slowly but painfully did so. The action made a bubble of sickness surface in my stomach though, and I leaned my head over to throw up into a silver bucket the healer had by my bedside.