28

IT TOOK ONE WEEK for the celebration to be prepared. I decided on a ball since Eeira had mentioned it and the maids were more than enthusiastic about dressing up and dancing. Even though I didn't much like the fact of being stuck in an even fancier gown than I normally wore, Bryndis suggested everyone at the ball wear masks, and that I could agree on. The prom theme back home had been a masquerade, and though I had been bickering with Jessi about going before I'd left, it was like I was getting my chance of having a senior prom that I missed out on.

It was hard for me to think through all of the planning by myself as I was anxious of mine and Calder's journey to find Sverdet. We would be leaving the morning after the ball was over, which meant we had to have everything prepared before the ball began. Calder knew I was under the stress of both worrying about what might happen during our quest as well as making sure the ball went smoothly, so he took the liberty of packing everything we'd need.

Thorne helped around decorating and testing--or what I called eating--all of the food that would be served. A formal invitation was declared to the village in a quiet manner not to draw attention to Sylvi or her knights. I hoped that was enough to keep us safe.

A gown was made specifically for me that I hadn't seen until the day of the ball. I wanted it to be the way I wanted, simple without anything fancy, but sadly the dressmaker wouldn't let me have any say. She even blindfolded me as I was dressed into it for my fitting which confused me.

"Why can't I see it until I'm in it?"

When the dressmaker and Bryndis didn't answer at first I was further puzzled, and I whipped my head behind me to wherever Bryndis was standing.

"Bryndis, why can't I see it?"

I heard her and the dressmaker's helper giggle, Bryndis' excited voice finally perking up. "Because Captain Hansen designed it for you, Your Majesty."

If my eyes hadn't been covered with the blindfold they would have seen my eyes nearly bug out of my head. "What?"

I felt the last crystal button fasten in the back of the gown, and the ribbon was removed from my face. I gazed in the mirror, myself now fully in shock. The sleeves were made of pure white frost, glittering down my arms and around the edge of my exposed shoulders.

The hem of the crystalized bodice began just above my perked breasts and corseted me, a poofy Cinderella skirt flowing down to the floor made of its own semi-translucent frost. It was as if I was a walking ice sculpture, glittering like jewels with every minor moment. Calder's snowflake around my neck seemed to glow with it, tingling my collarbones.

"I created it of course, but I went by Calder's drawing," the dressmaker declared arrogantly. "It could have been a bit tighter waisted, if you ask me."

"I didn't know Calder could draw," I said, admiring every detail he had put into it.

"It is mezmerizing! Do you like it, Your Majesty?" Bryndis wondered, her gaze bright with admiration of how I looked.

I couldn't help but smile to myself, touching my snowflake. "Yeah. I really do."

"