11

I HAD TO BE escorted back to my room by Thorne after what happened. My hands and legs were still shaking, and my mind felt lost to the world like I was on drugs. Bryndis met us at the door and through conversation between she and Thorne that sounded like they were miles away, he left me with her.

"Just. . .come and find me if she needs someone. She's in shock and I don't think she needs to be alone for too long," Thorne said to Bryndis.

Bryndis nodded, "I will Captain, thank you. I'll have the healer come and check her out after I get her cleaned up."

Thorne thanked her and turned to me, rubbing my arm. "I won't be too far. Try to get some rest."

With that he left and Bryndis slowly guided me inside. I sat down on the bed and looked down at my hands, staring at the red stained skin. My lip quivered and my chest remained tight as I began trying to rub it off. Not budging I began rubbing harder and lightly began to sob. I even licked my thumb to try erasing it but it was as if the blood would remain there forever as a taunting reminder.

Bryndis saw my tearful struggle and quickly hushed me, rolling over a bowl of warm water and cloth. She gently grabbed my hands and dipped them in, turning the clear liquid to a dark red. She cleaned the blood off me with the cloth and dried them before attempting to strip me of my stained gown. Undoing the back laces I then jerked away and spat at her.

"I can do it myself!"

I ripped the gown from my body and let it fall to the ground in front of the fireplace, making the jewels coated in Calder's blood gleam like rubies.

Some of the blood had even soaked through the fabric and splotched my stomach, painting my scar and bringing back the flashes of my stabbing to my mind.

Bryndis grabbed the cloth once more and cleaned me up, bringing me a nightgown to change into. I stared out the window of my balcony, time feeling instantaneous. My sadness had quickly turned to anger like the tick of a clock, at Sylvi and at myself for everything. My people's pain, my staff's, and Calder's at everything Sylvi had done.

Ice slowly began to cascade across the window glass making me realize how hard I was clenching my fists that caused it. Inside I was screaming.

Enough. ENOUGH!

I shoved the nightgown away and stormed over to my dresser, flinging the doors and drawers open.

"My Queen, what are you doing?" Bryndis asked in bewilderment.

"I am so fed up with this, Bryndis. I'm not standing by and letting this continue to happen. I've let it gone on far too long already."

I pulled out the old worn training clothes that had been cleaned and re-sewn from mine and Calder's journey. I quickly began slipping them on and confusing my maid further.

"I'm afraid I do not understand your meaning, My Queen."

As I laced my boots onto my feet I turned towards her, her face in slight alarm.

"Everything Sylvi has done," I explained. "Since the very beginning she has raided, murdered, kidnapped and tortured everyone she has come across. She's destroyed lives--my life--and all of my peoples'. My family. Calder. And she continues to do so because all this time I have done nothing about it.

I've been a princess with no power. And now I have the title of a queen, and I have to use it. Calder is suffering the worst he ever has, which is my fault. I take the blame for that. It should be my blood spilling onto the floors of that dungeon."

"Majesty no," Bryndis protested, but I quickly raised my hand to stop her.

"Please Bryndis, I need at least one person in this palace to see things the same way I do. I need someone on my side. Thorne understands me but he still has his reservations on the things I know I must do.