Chapter 3 (Part 1)

In the morning, she woke early, as she always did

In the morning, she woke early, as she always did. She stretched into a blissful arch to pop her joints back in place, but then she recalled she was pressed to a vampire's naked chest and curled back in on herself. The movement hadn't woken him, thank god. The man was out like a light, and she tapped his forehead just to make sure he was really out, but she didn't linger because she was really naked.

His hand on her hip was light, and she took a moment to just look at him while he wasn't awake to judge her. He didn't breathe, so he was completely still, but he had a sort of statuesque beauty. Without his lips rolled back above his fangs, they were a gentle shade of pink and soft looking, and the darkness of his hair contrasted with the smooth apricot of his defined cheeks and shuttered eyelids. The angles from his cheekbones were so flat that she wanted to touch his face to see if he had any fat on them, but she refrained.

She needed clothes, even if it was a table cloth tied around her. Slipping out from under his hold on her hip, she set his hand against his chest and pulled the covers back up over him. The robe by itself didn't keep her as warm as being against his body, and she resisted the urge to dive back under the covers as cold hair crawled goosebumps up her arms. With a shiver, she took her first step into his room, but she stopped short as she swore she was staring down at her laundry basket.

Before the evil order of mages had incarcerated her, she had just finished her laundry. Had she known that was going to be her final act in life, she'd have done something more productive like donate some money to hungry kids or plant a tree. Another box of random things sat next to the basket, and she rifled through it until she found her mp3 player and headphones. It had been on the charger when she'd left, so it was full when she turned it on.

She headed back to her laundry basket and found her sweatpants on the bottom, some underwear, and her normal morning shirt. If she didn't set the world record for fastest time getting dressed then it had gone to that guy who dreamed about giving speeches naked when clothes finally appeared. It was so nice to feel fabric against her skin after being a half-naked offering, and she smiled as she held her mp3 player to her chest. It was her old friend, always drowning out her stress and fears.

"You seem happy." The vampire's voice came from behind her, and she turned to find him lying on his back and looking up at her. He was at the edge of the bed with his head hanging over to examine her again, and she had to be upside down to him.

"Do you have a name?" Mer asked so that she wasn't calling him the vampire.

"No." His expression didn't change.

"You know, I almost believed you." She tried to look at him stoically, but it was difficult to be that emotionally dull and a smile tugged at her lips.

"Sorry, I'll try to be more serious next time."

She couldn't stop herself from laughing. Dammit. Somehow he'd won that one.