Chapter 17

This time, Rush had a bandage for his teeth marks

This time, Rush had a bandage for his teeth marks. There was a first aid kit in the room's bathroom, and he wiped her neck gently before he stuck the gauze bandage over the holes. The ones on her breasts, well, bandages didn't work well there, and she giggled when Rush looked at them and wondered what he was supposed to do.

"They are fine. Leave them," Mer insisted, but she was a little perturbed by how quickly Rush had returned to calm. Laying on his back next to her, he pulled her against his chest and ran his hand lightly over her hair. There was a strange expression on his face, and she crawled up a bit to cross her arms under her chin and rest them on his chest.

"What's wrong?" Mer asked, and his eyes met hers carefully.

"I frightened you a few times," Rush said, and she chuckled on his chest.

"Did I frighten you?" Mer asked, and Rush twitched uncomfortably.

"Yes, Meredith, terribly, when you put your hands on my face." Rush's look was strangely direct.

"Sorry," Mer attempted, but he smirked.

Leaning forward, he licked her cheek. The action made her grimace, and she leaned away from him, sticking her own tongue out in disgust. That caused a satisfied laugh from him. It was such a pleasant sound.

"You needn't apologize, Meredith." There was still a seeking look in his eyes even with his smile, like he had something to say but was not doing so.

"What?" She tugged on his hair lightly, and he brushed her hand away.

"Do you regret it terribly?" Rush finally asked, and she let out a breath, pushing his chest away.

"No, Rush, I don't." Turning from him, she crossed her arms in annoyance. Leave it to him to remind her of her feelings.

"Lamenting that I do not love you?" Rush asked, leaning over her stubborn, grumpy form, and she narrowed her eyes at him.

"A bit," she admitted for once, and his flat expression changed to a light smile and he ran his hand gently over her hair again.

"Don't. I'm starting to like you quite a bit." There was a taunting expression in his smile, but it seemed abnormally genuine and she rolled over to him.

"Quite a bit, you say?" Mer coaxed him for clarification, leaning back on his chest, and he chuckled lightly.

"Can't not like the girl who saves your family's lives, mage or not," Rush elaborated down to her, touching her hair affectionately. "Love, is a very deep word for a vampire. We live long lives, as do mages. When we commit ourselves to fall for someone, we don't intend to repeat it, over and over, as time progresses. So love, for someone like me, is a bit harder to latch onto, if you can understand."

"No, I get it." Mer had not considered it from Rush's standpoint. It would be unbearably painful to fall completely for someone only to have them die, and then mourn them, only to repeat the process.